Boxing News - Latest Headlines

Boxing Results: Andrade and Akhmadaliev Win Retaining Titles in New Hampshire!

Demetrius Andrade Julio Cesar Martinez

By Ken Hissner: At the SNHU Arena, in Manchester, New Hampshire, Friday, on the Zone, Eddie Hearn (Matchroom Boxing), matchmaker Kevin Rooney, Jr., in association with Golden Boy Promotions, presented 4 World Championships bouts.

In the Main Event WBO World Middleweight champion Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade stopped Jason Quigley in his fifth defense. WBA & IBF World Super Bantamweight champion Murodjon “MJ” Akhmadaliev defeated Jose “Pancora” Velasquez stopping his twenty-one fight winning streak in an action bout.

In the Main Event, WBO World Middleweight champion southpaw Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade, 31-0 (19), #160, of Providence, RI, stopped WBO NABO champion Jason Quigley, 19-2 (14), #159.8, of Ballybofey, IRE, at 2:24 of the second round of a scheduled 12 rounds.

In the first round, a right hook from Andrade started the downfall of Quigley when a couple of more punches dropped him for an 8-count by referee Arthur Mercante, Jr. in the final minute of the round. In the second round, Andrade dropped Quigley early with a solid left on the chin for an 8-count. Again he hurt Quigley, whose glove touched the canvas, but referee Mercante missed it. Shortly in the final minute, Andrade dropped Quigley with a barrage of punches as Mercante waved it off!

WBA & IBF World Super Bantamweight champion Murodjon “MJ” Akhmadaliev, 10-0 (7), #121.8, of Chust, UZB, retained his titles, defeating NABF champion Jose “Pancora” Velasquez, 29-7-2 (19), #121.6, of Quellon, Chile, over 12 rounds stopping the latter’s 21 fight winning streak.

In the first round, Akhmadaliev had Velasquez overwhelmed on the defense with an all-out attack for the first two minutes. He then started using the ring countering well while backing up against Velasquez. In the second round, Velasquez landed his first solid punch, a right on the chin of Akhmadaliev after a minute of the round.

Akhmadaliev took over after that. Halfway through the round, Velasquez landed a pair of rights to the head of Akhmadaliev. In the final minute, the champion Akhmadaliev took over while countering the ever-coming forward Velasquez.

From the third through the sixth rounds, Akhmadaliev had an edge against the oncoming Velasquez with combinations while Velasquez depended upon rights for the most part. In the seventh round, Velasquez hurt Akhmadaliev with a left to the body early in the first minute and dominated up until the final minute when Akhmadaliev took over though Velasquez may have taken his first round.

In the eighth round, Velasquez showed his frustration chasing Akhmadaliev, stopping and calling him to come inside and fight.

Akhmadaliev took over the last two minutes. In the ninth round, Akhmadalieve continued out, landing Velasquez, who only fought in spurts.

In the tenth round, after a minute, Akhmadaliev threw Velasquez to the canvas, getting warned by referee Luis Pabon. Akhmadaliev took over against the game Velasquez until the final seconds when the latter landed a flurry of punches, almost hitting the referee.

In the eleventh round, Akhmadaliev continued to be too fast a foot and hand for Velasquez landing the final punch of the round as Velasquez walked to his corner on the shaky side. In the twelfth and final round, Akhmadaliev continued winning another round, but Velasquez was in it every round.

Scores were all 119-109, as was this writer, but an interesting fight that the scores do not reflect upon.

WBC World Flyweight champion Julio Cesar “El Rey” Martinez, 18-1-1 NC (14), #111.4, of Mexico City, Distrito Federal, MEX, ended in a no-contest after two rounds with WBC interim world flyweight champion McWilliams Arroyo, 21-4-1 NC (16), #111.6, of Fajardo, PR, after two rounds due to an accidental head butt causing the stoppage in a scheduled 12 rounds.

In the first round, both fighters landed left hooks scoring knockdowns, first by Arroyo and then Martinez. In the second round, Arroyo suffered a cut on his left eyebrow from a clash of heads in the first minute. Midway through the round, a left from Martinez dropped Arroyo for an 8-count by referee John Callas. At the end of the round, the ring physician called a halt, making it a no-decision due to not completing four rounds.

WBA & IBO World Female Super Lightweight champion Native American Kali “KO Mequinonoag” Reis, 19-7-1 (5), #138, of Providence, RI, won a split decision over Jessica “The Cobra” Camara, 8-3 (0), #139, of Montreal, Quebec, CAN, for the WBA, IBO, and vacant WBO titles, over 10×2 action rounds that the fans didn’t agree with.

In the first round, Reis came out southpaw and the aggressor, but it was Camara landing the better punches of the two. In the second round, Reis returned to her natural orthodox stance, racing toward Camara in a spirited round that Camara had a slight edge with good left hooks. In the fourth and fifth rounds, Reis using an effective jab, seemed to come back taking both rounds.

In the sixth round’s last thirty seconds, Camara rocked Reis with rights on the chin on three occasions. In the seventh round, Reis seemed to have an edge until the final twenty seconds when Camara rocked Reis with combinations to the head right up to the bell. In the eighth round, Camara took it to Reis throughout the round.

In the ninth round, both boxers let it all hang out, with both having their moments. In the tenth and final round, after a minute, Camara received a nasty cut over her left eyelid, causing referee Arthur Mercante, Jr., to call in the ring physician. The rest of the round was all Reis, who also drew blood from the nose of Camara.

Scores were 97-93 twice for Reis and 95-94 for Camara, with this writer 96-94 Camara.

Making his U.S debut heavyweight southpaw “The Tower” Demsey McKean, 20-0 (13) #243, of Ipswich, Queensland, AUSTR, stopped “Mr. JBT” Don Haynesworth, 16-8-1 (14), #293 ½, of New Rochelle, NY, at 0:27 of round six of a scheduled eight rounds.

For three lackluster rounds, McKean was having his way while Haynesworth did more holding than punching. McKean opened up in the fourth round’s final seconds, having Haynesworth out on his feet with a mouth full of blood.

After a quiet fifth round, in the sixth round, McKean came out firing, landing a dozen unanswered punches before referee Kevin Hope wisely called a halt.

Super Lightweight Nelson “Chino” Perez, 5-0 (2), #140, of PR and Marlboro, MASS, defeated Raymundo “Ruso” Rios, 3-8-2 (3) #139 ½, of Durango, MEX, scoring two knockdowns over four rounds.

In the first round, both fighters threw left hooks at the same time, with Perez landing on the chin knocking Rios down for 8-count from referee Tom Clark. In the second round, a left hook from Perez knocked Roes off his feet for an 8-count from referee Clark at the halfway point of the round.

In the third round’s final seconds, Perez landed a right and left on the chin, stunning Rios. In the fourth and final round, Perez took the round, but Rios was still in it to the end.

Scores were all 40-34, as was this writer’s.

Sensational showing by Cruiserweight southpaw Thomas “The Kid” O’Toole, 2-0 (2), #186 ¾, of Galway, Ireland, who knocked out Mark “Money” Malone, 1-1 (0), #198 ½, of Longview, TX, at 1:31 of the first round of a scheduled four rounds.

In the first round, after a minute, O’Toole landed a solid left on the chin, hurting Malone, and then followed with a hard left and 2-punch combination as Malone was going down for the count of referee Kevin Hope.

It was O’Toole’s college graduation, but he decided to box instead. He showed his sportsmanship afterward from a neutral corner until Malone was on the stool and went over to see that he was okay.

In the opener, Light Heavyweight Khalil “Big Steppa” Coe, 1-0-1 (1), #175 ¾, of Flemington, NJ, ended in a majority draw with Aaron “Ghozt Mas” Casper, 6-4-2 (5), #174 ¾, of Augusta, GA, over four rounds.

In the first round, Coe switching from orthodox to southpaw, took the round. From the second through the fourth rounds, Casper took over coming forward, having Coe holding by the fourth round. Referee Tom Clark.

Scores were 39-37 Coe and 38-38 twice. This writer had 39-37 Casper.

Related Boxing News:
Subscribe (Free!)

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of Boxing News 24 or its affiliates.

Boxing News FB Boxing News Twitter Boxing News INstagram Boxing News 24 Youtuber Mail

Privacy Statement l TOS & Cookies Policy l Back To Top l Contact Us