Mayweather wants Conor McGregor rematch after Logan Paul
By Jeff Aronow: Floyd Mayweather Jr says that he’d like to fight Conor McGregor in a rematch in his next contest after taking care of YouTuber Logan Paul this Sunday night on Showtime pay-per-view at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami.
It was previously believed Mayweather would fight Logan’s brother Jake Paul in his next exhibition match, but it now looks like the former UFC star Conor McGregor might get the chance.
It’s unclear whether there would be interest from fans in seeing Mayweather and McGregor fight a second time, as their previous match ended in a definitive victory for Floyd. Will fans pay to see a second fight between Mayweather & McGregor?
You’d have to believe the price point for the rematch would be at $100 on pay-per-view, and that’s an outrageous price for an exhibition match between two badly washed-up fighters. McGregor’s record in the UFC in the last three years since his fight with Mayweather is a lowly 1-2.
Obviously, McGregor is no longer a top UFC fighter and is merely living off the fame from many years ago. In other words, McGregor is like Mayweather, a fighter that is living off of what he did thousands of yesterdays ago.
At 44, Mayweather is shot to pieces with nothing left of the skills he had when he was younger. The only thing Mayweather can do now that is comparable to the past is brag about himself.
“Absolutely. He easy,” Mayweather said Showtime Sports about a rematch with Conor McGregor. “The beef is all these guys look up to me, steal my blueprint, and then get to hating on me.”
You can understand why a rematch would be important for a competitive or controversial fight, but not one that was as one-sided as the Mayweather-McGregor fight.
That would be a money-grab and nothing more, which describes what the Mayweather vs. Logan Paul fight is all about. It’s just a business type of match to line the pockets of Mayweather, Logan and the network.
Mayweather stopped McGregor in the tenth round in 2017 in a high-priced pay-per-view event in Las Vegas, Nevada. The fight went for $100 per household in the U.S, and unfortunately, it was mostly a one-sided match after the first four rounds.
McGregor has been asking for a rematch with Mayweather ever since, and it looks like he’s about to get his chance.
“When I say to Conor, if you’re listening. You can get that too,” said Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe to Showtime Sport.
“Most definitely. That right there is very personal,” said Ellerbe of a second Mayweather vs. McGregor fight.
“After everything, where they left the ring, they hugged, but things are a little different now.”
This writer fails to see how it’s “very personal” for Mayweather and McGregor to fight again. It’s not as if there was controversy over Mayweather’s win against the Irish fighter in 2017.
It looked like Mayweather was coasting in in first gear for the first nine rounds before shifting into second. Once Mayweather started slowly walking McGregor down, the fight turned into a route.
It was weird how slow Mayweather looked as he plodded forward, throwing single shots. It was a good thing Mayweather wasn’t fighting a relevant boxer like Errol Spence Jr or Terence Crawford on that night because they would have torn him apart.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr posts support message for Deontay Wilder’s ex-coach Mark Breland
- Oscar De La Hoya offering $100M to Floyd Mayweather Jr for rematch
- Ryan Garcia says he beats Tank Davis, but Mayweather won’t let the fight happen
- Pacquiao, stop crying, Floyd isn’t going to fight you again – says Jeff Mayweather