Canelo fires back at De La Hoya after being criticized
By Sean Jones: It didn’t take Canelo Alvarez long to fire back at his ex-promoter Oscar De La Hoya on Wednesday after being criticized by him on social media.
The IBF/WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Canelo (56-1-2, 38 KOs) told De La Hoya he can do go himself, and he added an emoji of a spoon, hammer, knife, and frying pan.
Canelo’s inclusion of the kitchen utensil emojis would suggest some kind of tools for the job.
De La Hoya’s comments earlier today seem to be in response to an interview that Canelo had last April in which he said that Oscar doesn’t do anything at Golden Boy Promotions, and he’s just worried about drinking.
Canelo: “@oscardelahoya, do me a favor and go f*ck yourself.”
This was in response to De La Hoya’s comments earlier today on social media in which he said this about Canelo:
“Please, this guy does everything wrong; head up when he throws hooks, on his heels, flat-footed. What else? Oh, he avoids @twincharlo [Jermall Charlo.”
De La Hoya obviously is aware of the criticism that Canelo has been getting lately from boxing fans, who feel that he’s been ducking Jermall Charlo.
It is odd that Canelo (56-1-2, 38 KOs) has chosen to fight guys like Billy Joe Saunders, Rocky Fielding, Avni Yildirim, and Callum Smith but NOT Jermall (31-0, 22 KOs).
There would be a heck of a lot more interest from U.S boxing fans in a fight between Canelo and Jermall than the British fighters that the Mexican star has been padding his record with since 2018.
Surprisingly, De La Hoya made no mention of former two-time WBC super middleweight champion David Benavidez as one of the fighters that Canelo has avoided.
Many boxing fans believe that Canelo is avoiding the unbeaten Benavidez (24-0, 21 KOs) like the plague, choosing to take on the flawed 168-lb champions Saunders, Caleb Plant, Fielding, and Callum Smith.
If Canelo really wants to take care of De La Hoya, he’d agree to fight him. The 48-year-old De La Hoya needs an opponent for his comeback fight on Triller pay-per-view. Canelo vs. De La Hoya would be a huge fight for DAZN.
However, it would be viewed by hardcore boxing fans as just as much a circus-like mismatch as this Sunday’s clash between Floyd Mayweather Jr and YouTuber Logan Paul on Showtime PPV.
He was recently attempting to fight former two-division UFC champion Georges St-Pierre, but the fight has been blocked. That would have been a winnable fight for De La Hoya, as the 40-year-old St-Pierre obviously doesn’t have the same boxing skills.
Canelo is coming off an eighth-round stoppage victory over WBO super middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders last month on May 8th. Saunders suffered a fractured right orbital bone in that fight, and his future uncertain now.
- Canelo Alvarez wants to KO Gennadiy Golovkin says Marco Antonio Barrera
- Dmitry Bivol must decide next opponent now that Canelo Alvarez out of picture
- Canelo Alvarez bitter about drop in pound-for-pound rankings
- Canelo vows to fight Bivol again, and use “new guidelines”