Shawn Porter expects to fight Spence or Crawford next
By Sean Jones: Shawn Porter says he expects to challenge for a world title next against either IBF/WBC welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr or WBO champ Terence Crawford.
Porter (31-3-1, 17 KOs) is in a strong position to get a title shot as the WBC and WBO mandatory, which means he could face Spence (27-0, 21 KOs) or Crawford (37-0, 28 KOs).
Shawn, 33, will need the WBC or WBO to potentially order Spence or Crawford to defend against him next, though, as they have other ideas for their next fight.
Errol wants Pacquiao next
Spence was coming off a win over Danny Garcia last Saturday; he would like to take on WBA champ Manny Pacquiao in “the summertime” in 2021.
Errol doesn’t seem interested in facing Porter again, considering he already beat him a year ago by a 12 round split decision in September 2019.
The scores were 116-111, 116-111 for Spence, and 115-112 for Porter. More importantly, there’s not a huge amount of interest from boxing fans in seeing Spence run it back against in his next fight.
Fans want to see Spence face Crawford or Pacquiao next, as those are fights that involve world champions, and they would be PPV worthy matches.
Porter ready for Crawford or Spence next
“I’m expecting that as my next fight,” said Porter when asked if he expects to be Spence’s next fight as his WBC mandatory challenger.
“It’s already been said that I’m the mandatory for the WBO, an amazing fight against Terence Crawford or Errol Spence Jr, who has the WBC and IBF titles.
“I kind of prioritize Terence Crawford [as next fight] for the simple fact that you have not seen me in the ring with him,” said Porter.
“You seen what happened [with me] against Errol Spence Jr. It’s about me coming back, fixing some wrongs and beating him. But Terence Crawford is a whole new story, a whole new conversation that has not been had yet, and that’s why I favor that one. However, the way he [Spence] looked tonight, you let me know when you’re ready to go,” said Porter.
Unless the World Boxing Council orders Spence to face Porter next, he’s likely to look towards a unification match against Pacquiao. That’s the far bigger fight for Spence and the fans than watching Errol give Porter a rematch.
The problem Porter has is he’s done nothing to redeem himself after his loss to Spence in 2019.
Porter has fought once then, beating little known fringe contender Sebastian Formella (22-2, 10 KOs) by a one-sided 12 round unanimous decision on August 22nd in Los Angeles, California.
The boxing public wasn’t impressed with Porter’s choice of opponent in selecting Formella instead of one of the more talented contenders like Vergil Ortiz Jr or Yordenis Ugas.
Formella’s recent one-sided loss to the inexperienced British welterweight Conor Benn last November takes away the little shine that Porter got from his victory over the German fighter.
Spence impressed Porter with a win over Garcia
“It was very impressive what I saw from Errol Spence,” said Porter. “I look at myself and I look at what I have and I look at the landscape of boxing in general and I try to pick guys who may have what I have.
“I saw a mental fortitude and a will tonight from Errol Spence Jr that I knew he had, but I didn’t know he would have it coming back from what he’s come back from, and I’m very impressed and humbled by what he did tonight,” said Porter.
Spence outworked former two-division world champion Danny ‘Swift’ Garcia (36-3, 21 KOs) last Saturday night in beating him in front of a respectable-sized crowd at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Errol’s win showed that he’s back in form and 100% following his car crash last year. Spence needed that win to show the boxing public that he’s still the top guy at 147.
- Results / Photos: Benn blitzes Vargas, wants Khan or Porter next
- Jermell Charlo vs. Brian Castano on July 3 or 10th, Spence vs. Ugas on card
- Jaron ‘Boots’ Ennis ready for Spence and Crawford if they call
- BoMac confirms Terence Crawford to fight on June 5th, likely in Middle East