Ryan Garcia dares Golden Boy to RELEASE him if they don’t believe in his abilities
By Sean Jones: Highly popular 135-pound contender Ryan ‘Kingry’ Garcia wants Golden Boy Promotions boss Oscar De La Hoya to release him from his promotional contract with the company if he doesn’t have faith in him.
Golden Boy Promotions just signed Ryan to a new contract, and they may not want to cut him loose without knowing for sure if his career will take off.
The young Garcia wants to make the bigger money that many other fighters are getting. Unfortunately, this is not the ideal time for Ryan to be asking Golden Boy for more money.
The gate revenue isn’t there, and Golden Boy has a lot of expenses with the testing and the red tape that goes into staging boxing events behind closed doors.
Garcia is putting De La Hoya in a tough position right now with the pressure he’s putting on him, but there is a way out. If De La Hoya doesn’t have faith in Ryan, he can let him go and likely be snatched up by Matchroom or Top Rank. With those companies, Ryan will have the chance to prove De La Hoya wrong by winning world titles.
King Ryan Garcia wants the bigger money
Ryan (20-0, 17 KOs) is unhappy with the money that he was offered recently by Golden Boy for a fight in July, according to @MikeCoppinger.
Golden Boy offered King Ryan, 21, fights against Hector Tanajara, Mercito Gesta, or Javier Fortuna for July 4. Ryan agreed to the match against former WBA super featherweight champion Fortuna. However, the purses that were offered to Garcia were from $250,000 to $350,000, according to Mike Coppinger.
This money is far below the $700,000 Shakur Stevenson made recently for his non-title fight against Felix Caraballo last month on June 9 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The difference is that Stevenson is a proven fighter, having won the WBO featherweight title last October in beating Joet Gonzalez. This is a guy that Ryan Garcia likely would have beaten as well, but the main thing is, Stevenson is a champion, and King Ryan isn’t.
“If they don’t think I’m the next world champion, and if they don’t think I’m the next big fighter in the world, prove it, let me go. Just free release right now,” said Ryan Garcia to TheAthletic.com.
If Golden Boy believes in Ryan, then they’ll let him face Luke Campbell for the WBC interim lightweight title. The World Boxing Council ordered Campbell and Garcia to fight recently, and Golden Boy confirmed that they’re willing to let the fight go ahead.
If Ryan beats Campbell, then it’s going to be difficult for Golden Boy not to pay him the money he wants. However, Ryan would still need to prove himself against WBC 135-lb champion Devin Haney for him to get the bigger paychecks. Wins over Campbell and Haney would take Ryan’s career into the stratosphere.
More Boxing News:
- Eyeing the King’s Crown: A Look at the potential Threats to the Throne of Teofimo Lopez
- Ryan Garcia: I’m going to beat Luke Campbell down
- De La Hoya says Ryan Garcia to fight Teofimo Lopez in 2021
- Ryan Garcia predicting an early KO of Luke Campbell on Jan.2
- Warren wants an apology from Hearn for questioning Dubois eye injury
- Angel Garcia says Errol Spence is not at 100% for Saturday
- Abel Sanchez: Spence beats Garcia even at 80%
- Joshua doubts Fury fight happens in 2021, says Usyk more likely