Alfredo Angulo vs. Freddy Hernandez results
By Jim Dower: 37-year-old journeyman Freddie Hernandez (34-8, 22 KOs) outworked and outlanded a badly faded Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo (24-6, 20 KOs) in beating him by a 10 round unanimous decision in super middleweight action on Saturday night on Premier Boxing Champions on Spike TV from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. The judges scored the fight 98-92, 97-93 and 97-93. Boxing News 24 had Hernandez winning six rounds to four.
The taller, faster and busier Hernandez was able to get the better of Angulo with his high volume attack in rounds one through four. Angulo started coming on in round five with his bigger shots. Hernandez suffered a cut over his left eye in this round from one of Angulo’s thudding right hands.
Angulo fought reasonably well in the second half of the fight to get four rounds. The third round was close, and you could possibly give it to Angulo based on his bigger punches landing. The judge obviously didn’t see it that way.
Angulo and Hernandez had been out of the ring for close to a year before this fight. For two rusty journeyman level fighters, they put on a good performance. It was interesting to watch. Of course, Hernandez and Angulo are not going to be factors at 168 or 160. They don’t have the youth or the talent to make things happen in those divisions.
I don’t see where Hernandez can go in the super middleweight division. He’s too weak, he cuts too easily, and his age is too advanced.
In other boxing results on the card, unbeaten junior middleweight contender Terrell Gausha (19-0, 9 KOs) overcame a slow start to defeat Steve Martinez (16-3, 13 KOs) by a 10 round unanimous decision. The scores were 97-93, 97-93, and 95-95. Martinez looked like the better fighter through four rounds. However, Gausha came on in the second half of the contest to get the victory. Neither guy was all that impressive compared to some of the other top contenders in the 154lb division, but they were decent fighters for fringe contenders.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing results: Vladimir Hernandez defeats Alfredo Angulo, throws over 1000 punches
- Results / Photos: Lara beats Vendetti & Hernandez decisions Angulo
- Boxing Results: Erislandy Lara defeats Greg Vendetti
- Erislandy Lara 153 vs. Greg Vendetti 152.4 – weigh-in results
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti & Alfredo Angulo vs. Caleb Truax quotes for Aug.29
- Canelo Alvarez has refiled his lawsuit against Golden Boy and DAZN
- Porter: Erislandy Lara is the next guy for Jermell Charlo at 154
- David Haye warns Usyk: It only takes one shot, Chisora will cause an upset
- Regis Prograis vs. Juan Heraldez on Oct.24 on Tank vs. Santa Cruz card
- Murat Gassiev to face Kevin Johnson on Oct.31 in Russia