Jermell Charlo wants John Jackson in December
(Credit: Josh Jordan/Premier Boxing Champions) By Jim Dower: #1 WBC 154lb contender Jermell Charlo (27-0, 12 KOs) did his job last night in defeating veteran Joachim Alcine (35-8-2, 21 KOs) by a 6th round knockout to remain unbeaten on Premier Boxing Champions on NBC Sports Net from the NRG Arena in Houston, Texas.
The 25-year-old Charlo had too much speed, punching power and talent for the 39-year-old Alcine to deal with in this fight. It’s fortunate for Alcine that he was able to go six rounds, because he was hurt in the 4th from a left hook from Charlo.
Had he gone after Alcine to try and finish him off, he likely would have been able to do so. Charlo’s brother, IBF junior middleweight champion Jermall Charlo, would have looked to KO Alcine in the 4th if he had him shaken up the way Jermell did.
With the win, Jermell says he’s looking to fight next month against #2 John Jackson (20-2, 15 KOs). Getting Jackson out of the way will ensure that Jermell eventually gets a crack at the WBC junior middleweight title once the World Boxing Council makes their decision what they’re going to do with the current WBC 154lb champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., who retired recently without formally vacating his titles.
The WBC seems reluctant to strip Mayweather of his title in case he decides to come back next year at some point. The WBC can make a lot of money in sanctioning fees from Mayuweather if he decides to continue his career in 2016.
“Hopefully I can fight again in December, and I want John Jackson next,” Jermell said after his win over Alcine last Saturday night. I’m a completely different fighter now with my new trainer. My brother [Jermall] noticed it too and told me the same thing.”
Jermell is the same fighter who squeaked out a win over Vanes Martirosyan earlier this year. The only difference is he was fighting an old guy in 39-year-old Alcine, who didn’t have the punching power, hand speed or the work rate to come after Jermell in the same way that Martirosyan did last March in Charlo’s controversial 10 round decision win over him.
Charlo also wants a shot against the WBO champion Liam Smith, though that doesn’t appear to be too likely to happen because he’s not ranked in the top 15 with the WBO right now. Smith isn’t going to face someone tough like Charlo because there would be too much risk involved in that fight.
“What’s next for me is the WBC,” Charlo said. “Right now Floyd Mayweather holds the title with the WBC. I’m ranked No.1. If Floyd don’t want to get rid of his titles, there you go. I’m there. I’m not calling him out. I’ve got a lot of respect for him. He’s done great things for boxing. But if he you don’t want to get rid of the titles and you’re not officially retired, then give me 154. Absolutely, of course, I’d love to fight Floyd. But I’m ranked No.1 and I want the WBC. My brother [Jermall] has the IBF. Lara has the WBA. The WBA, I want it. Come give it to me. I’m going to come and get it, and the WBC, I’m right there. So let’s go,” Charlo said.
John Jackson has won his last two fights against Carlos Adan Jerez and Dennis Laurente since being stopped in the 5th round last year in June by Andy Lee.