Liam Smith v Shane Mosley in advanced talks
By Gav Duthie: At the age of 44 ‘Sugar’ Shane Mosley 48-9-1 (40) could be aiming to be the 3rd oldest man to win a world title in boxing history. At present the only two that have surpassed this feat are George Foreman, age 45 and Bernard Hopkins, age 48.
Rumors are circulating that newly crowned WBO light middleweight champion Liam Smith 21-0-1 (11) has agreed to face the veteran on the 19th December. If this fight was to come off it would add to a fantastic card which includes Andy Lee v Billy Joe Saunders also featuring champion Terry Flanagan and ex-champ Paul Butler at the Manchester Arena.
Surely at this stage of his career this defence is nothing more than adding a big name to Smith’s record. On the other side though Mosley will know that if there is any chance to win a world title this is it. ‘Beefy’ Smith is a very inexperienced champion and was almost handed the title when he faced the average John Thompson two weeks ago. The highest ranked contenders are Michel Soro and former title holder Austin Trout who would be big favorites to beat Smith.
It would be great to see Shane Mosley in Manchester but it reminds me of when Marco Antonio Barrera came over to face Amir Khan we were watching a fighter in name only as he was well past his best. Sometimes tells me that Shane actually has a chance here though.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins, Juan M Marquez, Shane Mosley Elected To Boxing Hall Of Fame!
- Mosley analyzes Canelo vs. Jacobs
- Mosley: Golovkin is too big for Canelo
- Mosley says Canelo must be perfect to beat GGG
- Mosley comments on Canelo’s 2 positive tests for PEDs and GGG fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner
- VIDEO: Featherweights – Boxing Survey Series Part 3
- Teofimo Lopez to be made ‘Franchise champion’ if he beats Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Andy Ruiz Jr. and Chris Arreola have agreed to fight in late 2020
- Roberto Diaz doubts Canelo Alvarez fights on September 12