Ruslan Provodnikov faces 40-year-old Jose Luis Castillo on November 28th in Moscow, Russia
By Dan Ambrose: In a disturbing bout, former WBO light welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov (23-3, 16 KOs) will be fighting 40-year-old former IBF lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo (66-12-1, 57 KOs) in a bout scheduled for 12 rounds in Moscow, Russia.
Provodnikov, 31, was hoping to take on a more relevant opponent than Castillo, but his management was unable to get any of the top guys to face him. Castillo is 10 years past his prime, but is someone who is recognizable to the Russian hardcore boxing fans.
Provodnikov’s management are really doing him no favors by matching him against Castillo, because the fight really puts Provodnikov in a no win situation in terms of him being able to accomplish anything with the fight. Boxing fans aren’t going to care one bit if Provodnikov beats Castillo in an impressive fashion, because of the guy being so badly over-the-hill.
To show you how past it Castillo is, he was soundly beaten by ESPN favorite Antwone Smith last year in losing a lopsided 10 round decision. If Provodnikov’s management wanted an easy mark, they would have been better off matching him against Smith rather than Castillo. Since his loss to Smith, Castillo has won his last two fights against Felix Bojorquez and Jose Luis Payan. Those are 2nd tier fighters unfortunately.
Provodnikov has lost two out of his last three fights including his last one to Chris Algieri in June of this year. Provodnikov lost his World Boxing Organization 140 pound title in that fight. It was a winnable fight for Provodovnikov if he had stopped loading up on his punches and focused instead on throwing combinations.
“I’m happy to be fighting at home! It’s been three years and I’m ready for war with Castillo,” Castillo said via Fightnews.com.
Castillo doesn’t belong in the welterweight division, so it’s probably not going to be much of a war. The age, lack of size, and lack of power is going to leave Castillo way out of his class in this fight. Overall, Castillo is a much better fighter than Provodnikov could ever hope to be, but he’s too old now and fighting in the wrong division.
More Boxing News:
- Is this the fight that Mayweather lost?
- Fight of the year 2005 – Corrales v Castillo (10 years ago) – Part 4
- Provodnikov stops Castillo in 5 rounds
- Provodnikov taking risky fight against Castillo on 11/28
- Ruslan Provodnikov faces 40-year-old Jose Luis Castillo on November 28th in Moscow, Russia
- Mike Tyson looking chiseled training for exhibition
- Manny Pacquiao reacts to Floyd Mayweather calling him an “OLD man”
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year