Weights: Jhonny Gonzalez 126 vs. Jorge Arce 126
(Photo credit: World Boxing Council) By Dan Ambrose: WBC featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez (56-8, 47 KOs) made weight on Friday for his title defense against 35-year-old Jorge Arce (64-7-2, 49 KOs) for this Saturday night at the Cancha de Usos Multiples Praderas de Villa, Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico. Both Gonzalez and Arcen both weighed 126 pounds.
It’s going to take a miracle for Arce to have a chance of winning this fight, because Gonzalez is a big, big puncher, and he’s already got a healthy size advantage over Arce. This match-up could very well be similar to Arce’s 3rd round blowout loss to Nonito Donaire 2 years ago in 2012.
That’s a fight that took place at super bantamweight, and Arce looked too small to be fighting in that division. Now two years later, Arce has moved up to featherweight after beating three weak opponents to get himself ranked at #15. Unless Gonzalez has grown old overnight since his last fight, he’s going to obliterate Arce within 1-3 rounds.
The Arce vs. Gonzalez fight will likely be the best fight of this weekend’s fights in terms of well-known opposition, but it’s highly doubtful it’ll be the most competitive fight. Arce is someone who has very little chance of beating Gonzalez, and many boxing fans think he’s just coming back for a payday.
Arce would be better off fighting at bantamweight if he wanted to try and make something happen with his career because he’s way too short to be fighting at featherweight. Arce has recently beefed up his upper body with weight training at the expense of his legs, which look weak and frail in comparison. Arce’s legs appear to be the same thin legs he had when he started his career at light flyweight. He doesn’t appear to have done anything to strengthen them as he’s moved up in weight.
Other weights on Saturday’s card:
Celestino Caballero 130 vs. Adrian Estrella 130
Juan Carlos Sánchez 123 vs. Gregorio Torres 124
Adrian Young 130 vs. Edgar Monarrez 130
More Boxing News:
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs. Mario Abel Cazares on Sept.25 in Tijuana, Mexico
- WBC: Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Jorge Arce
- Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Jessie Cris Rosales – Results
- Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Francisco Contreras – Results
- “Cancun Boxing” September 24 replay featuring Mexican KO artist Jhonny Gonzalez to air this Wednesday
- Hearn names 4 options for Saunders on Nov.28: Chudinov, Murray, Fielding & Ryder
- Boxing History: Charley Burley
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’