Robert Guerrero vs. Josesito Lopez possible for December
By Dan Ambrose: A fight between former two division world champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (32-2-1, 18 KOs) and former world title challenger Josesito Lopez (33-6, 19 KOs) is being talked about for December, according to Steve Kim.
#7 IBF, #8 WBC Guerrero was passed over by Khan’s management for a fight between Khan and Devon Alexander on December 13th. Guerrero says a fight between him and Khan was never even mentioned to him despite Khan saying that Guerrero was one of the guys that was in the running for his next fight.
Lopez, 30, would be a good test for Guerrero right now, because he’s kind of just treading water with his career after his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr last year in May. Guerrero, 31, says he wants a rematch against Mayweather, but that’s not going to happen.
Mayweather beat him by a convincing 12 round decision, and there’s no way he’s going to want face him again. Guerrero was fortunate enough as it was to get a big money fight against Mayweather, because he’d not really done anything special to get that fight other than beating Andre Berto, who hasn’t looked like the same fighter he once was since 2009, and Selcuk Aydin.
In Guerrero’s last fight, he had to struggle to defeat Japanese slugger Yoshihiro Kamegai by a 12 round decision last June. Guerrero was cut badly in that fight over his left eye.
Lopez has been stopped by Marcos Maidana and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.
Lopez has turned his career around with wins over Mike Arnaoutis, Aaron Martinez and Rafael Cobos. However, those aren’t big wins, and it’s likely that once Lopez steps it up a level against Guerrero or some other contenders then he’ll get beaten. In Lopez’s last fight against Cobos, he looked really poor in struggling to a decision.
Guerrero is going to need to start fighting a little more frequently if he wants to get a title shot in the near future. He’ll be turning 32 in March, and he’s not getting any younger.
More Boxing News:
- Photos / Results: Robert Guerrero & Joey Spencer Win on PPV Prelims
- Errol Spence decisions Shawn Porter – Live results
- Spence vs. Porter undercard final press conference quotes
- David Benavidez, Josesito Lopez & John Molina Los Angeles media workout quotes
- Shawn Porter, Anthony Dirrell & Robert Guerrero Las Vegas media quotes
- Malignaggi: ‘They did Golovkin DIRTY in first 2 Canelo fights’
- Joshua could fight Ruiz a third time – Hearn
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Caleb Plant looking sharp training
- Canelo vs. BJ Saunders not likely to happen