Ricardo Mayorga, Campos and Samuel Peter in action on September 27th
By Allan Fox: In a card that some boxing fans are calling an old timer’s card, 40-year-old former two division world champion Ricardo Mayorga (29-8-1, 23 KOs) will be in action against an opponent still to be determined in an 8 round bout on September 27th in light middleweight action at the OKC Downtown Airpark, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA.
Mayorga hasn’t seen action in three years since being stopped in the 12th round by Miguel Cotto in March of 2011. Mayorga surprisingly gave Cotto a lot of problems in that fight, forcing him to box instead of slugging with him.
Cotto was eventually able to score a knockout in the 12th round after he got Mayorga with a big shot in the 12th, but he didn’t look impressive in that fight.
Also on the card is 34-year-old former WBC heavyweight champion Samuel Peter (34-5, 27 KOs) facing Ron Aubrey (12-3-1, 3 KOs) in a scheduled 8 round bout. Peter hasn’t fought in three years as well ever since being stopped in the 9th round by Robert Helenius in April 2011.
Peter looked bad in the Helenius fight, and it’s not surprising that he’s not fought since then. Peter has been knocked out in his last two fights. In his fight before the Helenius bout, Peter was stopped in the 10th round by IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko in September 2010.
Peter likely still has his big punching power, but you’ve got to figure that his stamina, which was never good to begin with, isn’t the same that it once was. Peter’s punch resistance also hasn’t looked good in his last two fights.
Rounding out the card is 43-year-old former IBF light middleweight champion Luis Ramon Campas (102-17-3, 79 KOs) in a fight still to be determined. Campos has been active all these years, but he’s not fought a quality opponent since 2008 when he was beaten by Matthew Macklin by a 10 round decision. Since that fight, Campas has been taking it easy more or less facing lesser opposition.
More Boxing News:
- David Lemieux vs. Max Bursak on December 7 in Montreal, Canada
- Boxing Results: Amir Khan destroys Billy Dib
- Amir Khan vs Dib, Peter vs Fury Weights & Photos
- Amir Khan and Billy Dib put on show during public workout – Khan vs Dib
- Hughie Fury vs. Samuel Peter added to Khan-Goyat on July 12
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Glowacki- Okolie and Ryder-Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing
- Tyson Fury reaffirms he’s fighting on December 5th in London