Pacquiao will look like a cherry picker if he faces Algieri next
By Cameron Gillon: Just as everyone thought Bob Arum couldn’t get any worse to the boxing business, he once again pulls a controversial stunt by offering WBO light welterweight champion Chris Algieri (20-0, 8 KOs) the chance to be Manny Pacquiao’s next opponent on November 22nd.
This to me is the worst possible fight for Pacquiao and his fans, for years Pacquiao’s fans have unloaded bombs on Mayweather fans on how Floyd cherry picks his opponents to keep his 0 and unbeaten record in toe, and how he ducks all top fighters that call him out.
Recently Arum threw a load of top fights out there for Pacquiao’s potential next opponent, names like Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Miguel Cotto, Sergio Martinez were all thrown out into the mix, and this all got everyone on their toes and keen to see whether this cold war was going to end and we was finally going to see Manny fight someone out of Arums Top Rank stable and take on some of the biggest names in boxing right now.
Instead it looks to be nothing knew as Pacquiao looks set to fight the new WBO light welterweight champion Chris Algieri who not long ago defeated Ruslan Provodnikov for that title, Other than that win Algieri really doesn’t have many notible wins, He has only had 20 fights and won them all, and to me this is a big big mismatch much like Floyd Mayweather’s fights these days. It wouldn’t suprise me at this stage if Manny Pacquiao has a 3rd fight with Timothy Bradley or another fight with Brandon Rios to end his career on. Im not sure why Pacquiao is fighting these guys, lots of reasons have gone about how Manny is old and doesn’t have it anymore so hes going the easy route.
What happened to the Juan Manual Marquez 5th fight? I take Marquez generally wanted that 20 million and Arum knew the fight would only happen if JMM got that much.
Mayweather choosing Marcos Maidana is bad enough but i’d rather pay to watch that rematch then watch this farse that is Pacquiao/Algieri. Manny has said for years he will fight anybody but doesn’t back it up, its not the same guy that fought Hatton, Cotto, Margarito, De La Hoya.
To me this is a clear situation that Mayweather and Pacquiao have no valuable names to fight anymore, You can say Keith Thurman needs to be tested but its far to early for them to fight Thurman when he wont bring much money to the fight and is a huge risk to take on for little gain. I think its time these two realized the situation they are in and make the fight the world have wanted to see for years.
More Boxing News:
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz