Maidana will give Mayweather more problems in the rematch, says Garcia
By Dan Ambrose: Since WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (46-0, 26 KO’s) said that he would be fighting Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs) in a rematch on September 13th, boxing fans have largely dismissed Maidana’s chances by saying that Mayweather will easily out-box him this time by choosing not to slug like he did last time.
Mikey Garcia, the brother of Maidana’s trainer Robert Garcia, believes that Maidana will give Mayweather even more problems than last time because he’ll know what to expect from him this time, and he’ll feel more confident that he can land his big power shots.
“I think Maidana is going to come in a little bit better now, because he’s more confident,” Mikey said. “The last time he thought he was going to be in with this fighter that he couldn’t touch. But he saw that he could hit him. He saw what he can do. He saw how effective he was. He’s going to come with more confidence and in better shape, and he’s not going to let off the gas at all. And if they say it’s true that they’re going to let him use his gloves that he wanted then that can definitely change the results.”
It’ll be definitely interesting to see if Maidana can actually make it an even tougher fight for Mayweather this time, because pretty much no one sees that happening. If Mayweather chooses to be mobile in this fight, then Maidana is going to need to speed up his ability to cut off the ring because he’s not going to have a willing opponent that will make it easy for him like last May when the two fighters faced off. Maidana looked limited in that fight when Mayweather used a little bit of movement in the last four rounds.
It’s doubtful that Maidana will be allowed to use his Everlast MX gloves that he wants to use, because Mayweather already said that there’s not enough padding around the knuckle portion of the gloves, and the only way he’s going to change his mind about letting Maidana use the gloves is if he feels like Maidana won’t be able to land his big power shots in the fight.
More Boxing News:
- KSI addresses Mayweather vs. Logan Paul rumors: “This ain’t happening”
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Conor McGregor says he carried Floyd Mayweather 3 years ago
- Santa Cruz says Mayweather is training Tank Davis for nothing; he won’t change
- Canelo Alvarez has refiled his lawsuit against Golden Boy and DAZN
- Porter: Erislandy Lara is the next guy for Jermell Charlo at 154
- David Haye warns Usyk: It only takes one shot, Chisora will cause an upset
- Regis Prograis vs. Juan Heraldez on Oct.24 on Tank vs. Santa Cruz card
- Murat Gassiev to face Kevin Johnson on Oct.31 in Russia