Hughie Fury to fight on July 26th in Manchester, UK
By Scott Gilfoid: Heavyweight prospect Hughie Fury (14-0, 8 KO’s) will be fighting next month against a still to be determined opponent on the undercard of the Tyson Fury vs. Dereck Chisora II rematch at the Phones 4u Arena in Manchester, United Kingdom. Fury, 19, says he has some kind of medical problem that is increasing copper in his blood and taking away his strength. He doesn’t know what the condition is but he’s seeing a doctor about the problem.
“It just zaps you, making you tired; your strength goes. Whatever it is, it’s bad,” Hughie said. “I’ve got to see a specialist about it tomorrow.”
If it’s something serious then it’s possible it could get in the way of his pro career. During the interview, Hughie looked half asleep and not looking very energized. If he’s going to be in a weakened state, he’ll have major problems when they step him up from the 3rd tier opposition that he’s been facing and put him in with a 2nd tier guy.
Hughie looked terrible in beating Danny Hughes last month in winning an 8 round points decision. Hughie was given a victory by the score of 78-74, but I thought the fight was close to being a draw. Hughie was basically fought to a standstill by a guy who looked little better than a journeyman. Hughie says he doesn’t like to knock guys out because he doesn’t learn anything from the experience but the fact that he he’s struggling to beat 3rd tier guys like Hughes doesn’t bode well for his future. The boxing skills aren’t there for Hughie right now, and his power never has been.
Hughie is going to need to improve a lot just for him to be a fringe contender, because the way he’s looking right now, I don’t see him even being good enough to be a bottom dweller in the heavyweight division. He’s too easy to hit, and his power isn’t developed enough for him to take on good guys right now. Whether he picks up power in the future is unknown at this point. He could get stronger if he trains hard, but then again he may never be more than just a lighter hitter.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Pedraza vs. Molina & Efe Ajagba vs. Jonnie Rice -official weights
- Erickson Lubin 153 3/4 vs. Terrell Gausha 153 – Weigh-in results
- Josh Taylor vs. Khongsong undercard: Charlie Edwards and Davey O Joyce on Sept.26
- Dana White talks about what’s wrong with boxing
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk