Weights: Garcia-Herrera and Wilder-Scott
— SHOWTIME SPORTS (@SHOsports) March 14, 2014
By Dan Ambrose: WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia (27-0, 16 KO’s) weighed in today successfully for his title defense on Saturday night against Mauricio Herrera (20-3, 7 KO’s) at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez, Bayamon, Puerto Rico. Garcia weighed 139.75 lbs, while Herrera came in at 139.25 lbs. Garcia looked thin like he’d dropped a lot of weight to make 140 lb limit.
That makes sense because Garcia is known for putting a lot of weight when rehydrating. Being bigger than his opponents is one of the things that has helped make Garcia so successful in this division. Perhaps that might be a reason why he’s so reluctant in moving up to welterweight.
Heavyweight Deontay Wilder (30-0, 30 KO’s) weighted in at a slender looking 227 lbs for his 12 round fight against Malik Scott (36-1-1, 13 KO’s). Their fight is a WBC heavyweight eliminator bout. The winner will be facing the Bermane Stiverne vs. Chris Arrrela fight for the title later this year. Scott weighed 238 lbs. It’s safe to say that this fight will not go 12 rounds or anything close to that.
A drained looking Juan Manuel Lopez (33-3, 30 KO’s) weighed in at 129 lbs for his rematch against Daniel Ponce De Leon (45-5, 35 KO’s). For his part, De Leon weighed 128.5. Lopez stopped De Leon in the 1st round in 2008. However, things have changed for both fighter, as Lopez looks totally shot now and has lost 3 out of his lat 6 fights. De Leon is still fighting at a high level, but not a high enough level for him to capture a world title. If matched against the right opponent, De Leon can win a world title, but he’s someone that is hard to predict what he’ll do in any given fight due to his limited boxing skills.
Official weights for Garcia vs. Herrera card:
Danny Garcia 139.75 – Mauricio Herrera 139.25
Deontay Wilder 227 – Malik Scott 238
Juanma Lopez 129 – Daniel Ponce de Leon 128.5
More Boxing News:
- Errol Spence says he’s going to ‘tune up’ Danny Garcia
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 tickets will be EXPENSIVE for December 19
- Mike Tyson tells Deontay Wilder to “grow up”
- Deontay Wilder is broken MENTALLY – Matthew Macklin
- BT Sports Crushes Tyson Fury Glove-gate
- Andy Ruiz Jr using low impact pool workouts to get in shape
- Redkach wants Adrien Broner on Tank vs. Santa Cruz undercard
- Jeff Horn vs. Tim Tszyu on August 26 in Townsville, Australia
- Tank Davis to stream sparring session with Ivan Redkach on Monday
- Alexander Povetkin ready for Dillian Whyte