Weights: Golovkin 159.4, Adama 159.25
(Photo credit, Courtesy Sumio Yamada/Christian Kuechl) By Allan Fox: IBO/WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (28-0, 25 KO’s) made weight on Friday for his fight on Saturday night against little known fringe contender Osumanu Adama (22-3, 16 KO’s) at the Salle des etoiles, Monte Carlo, Monaco. Golovkin weighed in at 159.4 lbs., and looked in excellent shape. The 33-year-old Adama weighed in slightly less at 159.25 lbs.
The fight won’t be televised in the United States due to logistical problems related to the small size of the facility which wasn’t large enough for HBO’s television crew. Golovkin isn’t happy about it, but it’s expected that HBO wouldn’t be televising the fight because it’s more of a stay busy fight than a bout of interest for fans. Golovkin’s promoters at K2 Promotions need to put forth a little more effort when finding opposition for him if he wants to have all 4 of his fights per year to be televised by HBO.
Having Golovkin involved with mismatches that clear mismatches on paper, like this one, isn’t a great for the boxing public. HBO wants to be able to put on interesting fights on their network, and this one clearly isn’t unless your idea of an interesting fight is to watch an over-matched challenger get pounded on for 1-6 rounds, which is about as long as this fight will last before Golovkin knocks Adama out.
“I’m disappointed because this fight will not be seen in America,” Golovkin said to ESPN. “I am very disappointed. I think about my fans who have been wanting to see me fight again, who want to see me fight again.”
Golovkin will be fighting next on April 26th against either Daniel Geale or James Kirkland. It would be a much better fight if K2 were to select Kirkland for Golovkin to fight, because Geale was a bitter disappointment the last time he fought in the United States last year in losing his IBF middleweight title to Darren Barker. At least with Kirkland, he comes to make a fight of it rather than bouncing around on the outside for 12 rounds the way that Geale tends to do when he fights.
Other weights on the undercard:
Jarrod Fletcher 159.25 vs. Max Bursak 160
Ilunga Makabu 193.8 vs. Ruben Angel Mino 199.7
Nkosinathi Joyi 107.5 vs. Rey Loreto 107.8
Roman Belaev 146.2 vs. Dean Byrne 146
More Boxing News:
- Gennadiy Golovkin training for Kamil Szeremeta fight
- Golovkin will HURT Pacquiao says trainer Abel Sanchez
- Gennadiy Golovkin preparing for Kamil Szeremeta
- Golovkin the better option for Pacquiao than Crawford
- Arum doesn’t want Pacquiao to fight Golovkin
- Andy Ruiz Jr and Chris Arreola in discussions for fight
- Fury sparring partner Anderson slams glove tampering claims
- Canelo Alvarez wants a TOP fighter for September 12 says Eric Gomez
- Golden Boy: Ryan Garcia is passing on WBO title eliminator, wants Luke Campbell
- The Story Of Michael Bentt: Heavyweight’s Forgotten King