Price’s route back?
By The Squared Circle: David Price 15-2 (13ko) was last night found to be wanting, yet again at the hands of ‘The Tiger’ the wily veteran, Tony Thompson 38-3 (26ko).
There are already rumors that there may have been a rift between trainer Franny Smith and former heavyweight king Lennox Lewis, which may have caused an unsettled atmosphere in training camp, which is where fighters need to be settled and focused. Whatever the reason, Price looked gassed and, although Thompson had to weather an early onslaught and a second round knockdown, he showed his experience and heart to come back and force the referee Marcus Mcdonnell to call a halt to the action at 1:55 of the fifth, deeming Price as being in no condition to continue.
This leaves both fighters in completely opposite situations to which they were before their two fights. Thompson who looks like he is now back with top of the division with his rankings having been boosted yet again with another spanking of the big scouse puncher. Price however has a very hard route back, I feel the mental obstacles will be harder to overcome than the physical. He is still British and Commonwealth champ, which may provide him with a platform, domestically to regain some consistency.
There is a commonwealth final eliminator happening in Melbourne on Thurs 25th July, between the 6″4 Lucas ‘big daddy’ browne 16-0 (14ko) and 6″8 Englishman Richard ‘the inferno’ Towers 14-0 (11ko) which will mean the winner will be mandatory for Price’s commonwealth strap, it will be interesting to see the outcome between the outspoken and very powerful Aussie Browne, who’s last outing saw him beat former world champion James Toney 75-8 (45ko) over 12 rounds for the lesser known WBF strap. Towers on the other hand has recently won Robert Helenius’s vacated EBU European strap, and after serving 13 years in prison for kidnap, is looking to really make quick moves in his career.
I hope that both Price and Thompson do well and learn from their two fights, but I guess only time will tell…
More Boxing News:
- Prograis vs. Taylor Review including undercard
- Haye: Dereck Chisora wants Oleksandr Usyk
- David Price reacts to his loss to Dereck Chisora
- Dereck Chisora: “I’ll fight Big Baby Miller on AJ-Ruiz in Saudi”
- Josh Taylor defeats Regis Prograis – live results
- Terence Crawford vs. Kell Brook agreed for Nov.14 on ESPN
- “This Virus Will Not Beat Me!” A New Jersey Gym Perseveres Amid Pandemic
- Canelo Alvarez offered new $20M per fight deal by DAZN
- DiBella predicts Sergiy Derevyanchenko beats Jermall Charlo if it goes to decision
- Demetrius Andrade to Billy Joe Saunders: “You’re a clown, I’m ready to fight”