Abraham could wind up as Stieglitz’s mandatory if he beats Shihepo
By Scott Gilfoid: Arthur Ahraham (36-4, 28 KO’s), ranked #4 by the World Boxing Organization, could find himself back in the mandatory spot for WBO super middleweight champion Robert Stieglitz if Abraham can get by his next opponent #7 WBO, Willbeforce Shihepo (20-6, 15 KO’s) in their fight on August 24th at the Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany.
Fightnews is reporting that Abraham could land a third fight against Stieglitz if he beats the always tough Shihepo. For this to happen #1 WBO mandatory challenger George Groves will have to bypass his title shot against Stieglitz, which as of now seems likely to happen due to the talk of Groves facing IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch in November.
Groves and Froch are reportedly in negotiations, so that’s a fight that probably happen unless Froch gets a better offer for a big fight against Mikkel Kessler. That’s not going to happen this year obviously.
Abraham lost to Stieglitz last March after his left eye closed in the 4th round, causing the fight to be halted because he couldn’t see. Abraham wasn’t ready for the fast and furious start that Stieglitz made in that fight, and that was pretty much the reason for him losing.
Had he been aware of the strategy that Stieglitz was going to use he’d have likely met him in the center of the ring and went toe to toe the entire four rounds instead of foolishly covering up in his turtle defense waiting for Stieglitz to stop throwing punches.
Abraham easily beat Stieglitz in their first fight back in August of last year by a 12 round unanimous decision. Abraham was too big and too strong for Stieglitz, as got the better of him in pretty much every exchange in the entire fight.
I’m looking forward to a third fight between Abraham and Stieglitz, because I think Abraham will bring a lot more fireworks to a third fight than he did last time when he was caught napping.
More Boxing News:
- Arthur Abraham talks Plant vs Feigenbutz & Felix Sturm
- Canelo Alvarez open to Artur Beterbiev fight next May
- Arthur Abraham defeats Patrick Nielsen – Results
- Arthur Abraham vs. Patrick Nielsen on April 28
- Eubank Jr. talks Groves and Abraham
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Chris Eubank Jr: I’m looking to DESTROY Canelo
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Eubank Jr gives his theory on WHY Saunders didn’t take Canelo Alvarez fight
- Emanuel Navarrete wants Naoya Inoue, believes he’ll beat him