Golovkin’s promoter wants him back in August; targeting Chavez Jr.
By Allan Fox: Tom Loeffler, the promoter for IBO/WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (27-0, 24 KO’s), plans on having Golovkin fight twice more this year with his next fight being in August.
Loeffler is hoping that he can get a fight between Golovkin and former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Unfortunately the chances of Chavez Jr. or his promoter Bob Arum saying yes to that fight are probably not very good.
Loeffler said to ESPN “We are on track for five times. I think the ideal fight would be Chavez Jr., but that’s who we want…any of the champions or big names. A performance like this, though, might make people who didn’t want to fight him before really not want to fight him.”
A Golovkin-Chavez Jr. fight would be a lot bigger match-up than Chavez Jr. vs. Brian Vera, which is probably going to be the next guy that Chavez Jr. faces. Chavez Jr. is coming off of a loss to Sergio Martinez, and a long layoff since he last fought. Those are two pretty good reasons why Arum and Chavez Jr. will choose not to put a fight together with Golovkin. Vera is tune-up bout for Chavez Jr. to get ready for a possible rematch against Sergio Martinez.
Golovkin’s options for August aren’t all that good. He’s not going to be facing any of the middleweight champions – Daniel Geale, Peter Quillin or Sergio Martinez – because those guys are either busy, not interested or healing from injuries.
Golovkin will likely have to face one of the top contenders in the division like Martin Murray or Andy Lee. It’s doubtful that Murray would accept a fight with Golovkin with only one month to train for the fight. Andy Lee might not be open to the idea of fighting Golovkin with that kind of preparation time either.
The problem with having Golovkin fight so soon is it limits who he can fight. So most likely it’ll be someone in the same class as the guys he’s beaten recently.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins: De La Hoya beats Golovkin, GGG losing power
- Golovkin vs. Eubank Jr in UK in 2021 possible
- Eubank Jr: I want Golovkin; Brook or Williams would be a tune-up
- Kalle Sauerland targeting Golovkin & Kell Brook for Eubank Jr
- Max Kellerman explains how Errol Spence vs. Terence Crawford fight happens in 2021
- Anthony Joshua vs. Tyson Fury planned for June
- Josh Taylor beats Jose Ramirez predicts Regis Prograis
- Logan Paul explains reason why Floyd Mayweather exhibition bout postponed