Mayweather vs. Guerrero exceeds 1 million PPV buys
By Dan Ambrose: Contrary to what Dan Rafael recently said about the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Robert Guerrero fight resulting in less than 1 million PPV buys last Saturday night, Showtime vice president Stephen Espinosa is reporting that the Mayweather-Guerrero fight is going to be over 1 million PPV buys when the official tallies are completed. Showtime is still compiling the figures but they’ve already got over 1 million buys and it could climb much higher.
Espinosa said to RingTV “We wanted to take our time and wait until we had enough data to speak responsibly about this, so based on what we’ve seen, now we are very comfortable that we’re definitely going to exceed a million pay per view buys.”
What this means, of course, is that Mayweather is still king of PPV unless Manny Pacquiao’s next fight against Brandon Rios is able to eclipse the numbers for the Mayweather-Guerrero fight, which I highly doubt.
This is really good news for Mayweather because it frees him up from pressure to fight the giant-sized junior middleweights and middleweights like Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Sergio Martinez just to bring in PPV numbers. If Mayweather can attract over 1 million PPV buys fighting a little known guy like Robert Guerrero, then he can easily get 1 million fighting the likes of Marcos Maidana, Devon Alexander or Danny Garcia. He doesn’t need Canelo or Sergio Martinez to keep his PPV numbers over the 1 million mark.
It’s nice that Mayweather isn’t constrained to fighting guys that aren’t in his weight class like Canelo because you don’t like to see Mayweather being forced to fight guys that are 20+ pounds heavier than him just to get extra PPV buys.
This is making Showtime/CBS look really smart in them giving Mayweather the big contract that they did because if he can continue to bring in well over 1 million PPV buys for each fight, then Showtime/CBS could make a profit from the contract with Mayweather.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Jake Paul destroys Nate Robinson, wants McGregor
- Ashley Theophane: “It’s my homecoming fight and it’s my last fight here”
- Boxing Results: Mike Tyson – Roy Jones Jr fight to 8-round draw
- Boxing Results: Panya Pradabsri defeats Wanheng Menayothin
- Mike Tyson to continue with exhibitions: Will fans pay to see them?
- Frank Warren fires back at Hearn about Dubois eye injury
- WBC won’t stand in way of Anthony Joshua vs. Tyson Fury in 2021
- Martin Murray respects Billy Joe Saunders’ power