Ricky Burns vs. Miguel Vazquez possible for May 11th
By Scott Gilfoid: It looks like IBF lightweight champion Miguel Vazquez (33-3, 13 KO’s) is back in play as an opponent for WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns (35-2, 10 KO’s) for his next fight on May 11th in Scotland, UK. It was thought that Burns’ promoter Eddie Hearn was going to put Burns on a soft diet after signing him up to Matchroom Sport earlier this month.
Hearn wants to sell Burns’ fight in his own country of Scotland rather than England in order to take advantage of Burns’ fan base. I still would be very surprised if Hearn makes this fight because Burns has been so particular about preparation for his fights, and wanting a lot of time to prepare.
He’s into tune-ups and all that despite being a champion. By the time Burns fights in May, he’ll have been out of the ring for 8 months. His last fight was against Kevin Mitchell in September last year, and he’s had several fights fall through since.
Burns has also turned down the one fight that boxing fans want to see him in against WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner. Initially, the excuse was Burns needed more time to prepare, but I have no clue what Burns’ excuse is now.
What excuse is there at this point that the boxing public will buy for Burns not fighting Broner. I don’t think there is any. Burns is better off fighting the guys he’s been fighting because Broner is in a different league than him.
Like I said, I don’t see Burns fighting Vazquez. I see Burns and his manager choosing the safe route and picking out one of their top 15 ranked contenders, likely someone ranked near the bottom, and then defend the title against that guy.
Burns is one of those fighters that disappointing because he’s failed to step it up against the top guy when the fights been offered to him.
I don’t see Burns ever facing someone like Richard Abril because he’s someone that would give him major problems as well.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Lewis Ritson defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Lewis Ritson defends against Miguel Vazquez on Oct.17 on DAZN & Sky
- Ricky Burns still has ‘a year or two left’ of remarkable story
- Prograis vs. Taylor Review including undercard
- Josh Taylor defeats Regis Prograis – live results
- Oscar De La Hoya says he’s serious about comeback
- Vasily Lomachenko apologizes to fans for loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Campbell takes partial credit for Teofimo’s win over Lomachenko
- Estrada vs. Cuadras, Chocolatito vs. Gonzalez & Martinez vs. Calleros – Official DAZN Weights
- Michael Conlan vs. Isaac Dogboe agreed for Dec.5 on ESPN