Abraham needs to move back down to 160
By Eric Thomas: If we learned anything from watching WBO super middleweight champion Arthur Abraham (36-4, 28 KO’s) get slaughtered tonight by the bigger, stronger, and more talented Robert Stieglitz (44-3, 25 KO’s) it’s that Abraham doesn’t belong fighting in the super middleweight division.
It was proven in the Super Six tournament where Abraham was beaten in three of the four fights he had, and it was proven once again tonight. Abraham simply doesn’t have the height or reach to compete in this weight class.
If he wants to fight Stieglitz again to get a payday, which is what we’ll likely see happen next, then you begrudge the guy one last payday, but he’s not going to go anywhere in this weight class.
Abraham needs to get on a stairmaster and work his way down to 160 to make a go of it in that fight class because that’s the only place he has any chance of success. He’s not going to beat the top super middleweight champions Andre Ward, Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler and now Stieglitz.
Those guys are all too big and too skilled for him. Abraham also can’t move up to 175 because he’d be picked apart by the champions Chad Dawson, Beibut Shumenov, Nathan Cleverly and Bernard Hopkins. The best bet for Abraham is to work on his cardio and trim down to 160, and then look to go after WBO champion Peter Quillin or IBF champ Daniel Geale.
Those two appear to be the weak links in the middleweight division in terms of the champions. You can’t put Abraham in with middleweight champion Sergio Martinez or Gennady Golovkin because their boxing skills and power would be too much for him. They’re not any bigger than him, but their boxing skills are far superior and he’d never beat any of them. But by moving down to 160, Abraham would at least be taking away one of the main advantages that the super middleweights have over him in the size department.
More Boxing News:
- Arthur Abraham talks Plant vs Feigenbutz & Felix Sturm
- Canelo Alvarez open to Artur Beterbiev fight next May
- Arthur Abraham defeats Patrick Nielsen – Results
- Arthur Abraham vs. Patrick Nielsen on April 28
- Eubank Jr. talks Groves and Abraham
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall