Erik Morales faces potential 2-year ban by USADA
By Dan Ambrose: Former four division world champion Erik Morales could receive a 2-year suspension from boxing by the Anti-Doping Agency for Morales testing positive for a banned substance from his 4th round TKO loss to WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia last October.
Morales has until February 18th to notify the USADA to let them know whether he’ll contest this, according to RingTV. The problem is the USADA reportedly doesn’t have the power to give out bans for fighters, so it’s an empty ban by them.
The ban doesn’t hold in Mexico, which is where Morales plans on fighting one more time before he retires, and it doesn’t have in any weight in the U.S either because the sanctioning bodies and the boxing commissions haven’t agreed to it.
If Morales did decide to fight a final time in the U.S states, for example, in Nevada, he would have to meet before the Nevada Commission to discuss the results of his positive test. However, Morales doesn’t plan fighting in the U.S, so it’s all meaningless.
Morales, 36, has lost three out of his last four fights since 2010, and he’s clearly at the end of his career. He doesn’t have the size to compete at light welterweight, and he can’t get back down to super bantamweight, which is where he found most of his success during his 20-year pro career. Morales had epic battles against Marco Antonio Barrera, and he also defeated Manny Pacquiao before he started having problems with weight.
Pacquiao was no match for a prime Morales and it was impressive watching Morales dominate him. After that fight, Morales began to have chronic weight problems that eventually led to him retiring from boxing. When Morales did make a comeback in 2010 after a three year retirement, he was only a shell of his former self.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Canelo’s trainer Reynoso responds to Morales’ criticism about fighting older guys
- Erik Morales BLASTS Canelo for fighting OLD, shot fighters
- Andy Ruiz getting help from Erik Morales to KO Anthony Joshua in rematch
- Munguia moving to 160 after next fight with Allotey
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism