Brook: I’m going to show Devon Alexander why I’m the ‘Special One’
By Scott Gilfoid: Undefeated Kell Brook (29-0, 19 KO’s) will be fighting for the IBF welterweight world title on February 23rd against champion Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KO’s) at the Joe Louis Arena, in Detroit, Michigan. Brook sees a victory for himself as his destiny.
Brook said to Sky Sports News “I’m going to show him – and the world – why people call me the Special One. it’s destiny, it’s just meant to be…I’ve got to do whatever it takes to win, whether that’s make it a dogfight or a technical fight.”
Well, all I can say about Brook and his claim of being the ‘Special One’ is that I hope he fights a lot better than he did last year in July when he struggled to beat a good but not great Carson Jones in the UK. Brook won the fight by a 12 round majority decision but a lot of boxing fans came away from watching the fight thinking that it should have been scored a draw.
I agree with the fight being a draw but I didn’t see a winner because Brook controlled the action in the first six rounds, but Jones totally dominated Brook in the last half of the fight, giving Brook a beating and busting up his nose. Even more, Brook was out on his feet in the 12th round and he may have been stopped if not for the referee stepping in to give Jones a long verbal warning while he had Brook staggering around the ring.
Brook came back from that poor performance to defeat Hector David Saldivia by a 3rd round TKO in their IBF welterweight eliminator bout last October. It was a good performance by Brook against a fighter that didn’t look like he belonged being ranked in the top five by the International Boxing Federation.
Alexander has won his last three fights since suffering a 10 round technical decision loss to Timothy Bradley in January 2010. Alexander has since beaten Lucas Matthysse, Marcos Maidana and Randall Bailey. I think you can make a strong argument that all three of those fighters would beat Kell Brook if given the chance to fight him.
More Boxing News:
- Terence Crawford vs. Kell Brook possible for November 14th
- Terence Crawford talks Kell Brook negotiations for November fight
- Top Rank offering Kell Brook $2M for Crawford fight
- Kell Brook says talks with Terence Crawford are “progressing”
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Eubank Jr wants Canelo, Golovkin, Murata or Jermall title shot
- Jose Ramirez: “I want Josh Taylor next”
- Devin Haney leaning towards Yuriorkis Gamboa for November 7th
- Teofimo Lopez: I don’t want to hear about Lomachenko again after this fight