Andrade decisions Hernandez
By Jim Dower: Undefeated #3 IBF, #3 WBO, #8 WBC, #13 WBA, junior middleweight contender Demetrius Andrade (19-0, 13 KO’s) won an easy 10 round unanimous decision on Friday night over an over-matched Freddy Hernandez (30-4, 20 KO’s) at the Paramount Theater in Huntington, New York. The final judges’ scores were 100-89, 100-89 and 100-89.
The 6’1″ southpaw Andrade knocked Hernandez down with a straight right hand in the 6th, and was able to slap and punch his way to winning the remainder of the rounds. In the 9th, Andrade hurt Hernandez with a short right uppercut while Hernandez was coming forward. To Hernandez’s credit, he was able to make it out of the round without hitting the canvas or getting stopped.
Hernandez put a lot of pressure on Andrade in the 1st half of the fight and was able to get inside on him to land a lot of punches. Andrade’s team chose Hernandez well, though, because he didn’t have the power to really do anything despite all the punches he was hitting Andrade with on the inside. In the second half of the fight, Hernandez’s power, such as it was, really dropped dramatically, and he did little more than push his shots and hold.
Andrade was able to land of punches in the fight. He hit him with a ton of jabs, right hooks and left hands. He switched back and forth from southpaw to orthodox all throughout the fight to keep Hernandez guessing, but it wasn’t really needed because he was out of his league.
Andrade may move up in weight to the middleweight division in the near future because he had a lot of problems making weight for this fight. It’s going to be difficult for him to match up against the better fighters at that weight because they can punch harder than him and they’re a lot better inside fighters than he is. Fighters like Gennedy Golovkin, Peter Quillin, Sergio Martinez, Daniel Geale and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. would be a real problem for a slapper like Andrade. He looks a lot like a weaker version of Austin Trout.
More Boxing News:
- Saunders won’t be fighting Canelo, wants Andrade or Callum Smith in November
- Daniel Jacobs and Demetrius Andrade to share card in November on Dazn
- Canelo Alvarez will fight Callum Smith or Demetrius Andrade next says Matchroom boss
- Saunders 3 options if no Canelo fight: Callum, Andrade & Eubank Jr
- Demetrius Andrade wants Canelo Alvarez or Jermall Charlo
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall
- Hearn wants Wilder to speak up about Fury fight
- Chisora responds to Usyk while taking body shots from David Haye