Golden Boy sends contracts for Mares-Donaire fight to Top Rank
By Chris Williams: Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions has reportedly sent contracts to Top Rank for a fight offer between Golden Boy fighter WBC super bantamweight champion Abner Mares (25-0-1, 13 KO’s) and Top Rank stable fighter WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (31-1, 20 KO’s).
De La Hoya earlier this week said that Golden Boy would offer $3 million for the fight. Top Rank promoter asked that De La Hoya send the proposal over to him so that he could review it and he would then make a decision on whether to go with the fight or not.
De La Hoya said on his twitter “Let’s see what excuse Bob Arum will come up with now. I’m sure Nonito will agree that 3 million is a lot of mula. Golden Boy attorneys have drafted contracts and will be sent over to Arum’s legal advisers.”
$3 million seems to be way too much money for this fight. I wonder how Golden Boy is going to make that cash. I can’t see it coming from the gate, and if they try putting Donaire vs. Mares as a pay per view bout, I see it doing really poorly. Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t imagine boxing fans wanting to pay big money to see super bantamweights fight.
Donaire has a scheduled fight date on April 13th at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. That could change if this fight is put together because Golden Boy will need more time to market the fight properly to make enough money to cover the fat contracts.
Mares is a good fighter, but his style is perfect for Donaire. Mares is a pressure fighter in the Jorge Arce mold, and he gets hit a lot and he’s likes to fight on the inside. Donaire doesn’t let fighters get close enough to him in order to fight in close because he keeps moving and throwing hard counter shots. I can’t see Mares making the distance in this fight, and I’m surprised Golden Boy is agreeing to this match-up.
More Boxing News:
- News: Kim Clavel to fight on July 21, Abner Mares becomes U.S. Citizen
- Abner Mares becomes U.S. Citizen on June 24
- Ryan Garcia says he’s fighting Abner Mares next
- Ryan Garcia wants to fight Abner Mares next
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- VIDEO: Bantamweights – Boxing Survey Series Part 2
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Emanuel Navarrete vs. Jessie Magdaleno on Oct.17th/24th for vacant WBO 126lb title
- Naoya Inoue vs. Jason Moloney in the works for ESPN/ESPN+
- Tyson Fury won’t be fighting Dillian Whyte in 2021 says Warren