Brook with ankle problem, fight with Alexander could get pushed back
By Scott Gilfoid: Kell Brook’s scheduled January 19th fight with IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KO’s) could get pushed back into February due to Brook suffering an ankle injury during training for the fight. The fight will be taking place at the Nokia Theater, in Los Angeles, California, USA.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told RingTV “We might have to push back that fight from January 19th, because I think there is something wrong with Kell Brook’s ankle. They’re going to get it checked out.”
What a pity. Brook has wanted to get a title shot for ages now, but now it looks like he’s going to have to wait a little while longer for the fight to take place.
A lot of boxing fans aren’t giving Brook too much of a chance of winning the fight because of the weak opposition he’s faced during his career.
The best fighter on Brook’s resume is Carson Jones, who really isn’t that great of a fighter, yet Brook went life and death with him and ended up winning a controversial decision in their fight in Brook’s home country of the UK. I had Jones winning that fight or at the least getting a draw out of it. No way do I think Brook should have won that fight because he completely ran out of gas in the second half of the fight and took terrible punishment.
A much more interesting fight will be on the undercard of the Alexander-Brook fight with Lucas Matthysse facing Hank Lundy. I like this fight much more than I do seeing Alexander fight Brook. Matthysse has got great skills and think he’s going to do a job on Lundy and possibly knockout him out in this fight. Matthysse could be the best fighter in the light welterweight division right now. He’ll get the chance to prove in 2013 when he finally gets a shot against WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia.
- Kell Brook starts training camp: Is Conor Benn next?
- Kell Brook wants Manny Pacquiao fight: Does he deserve it?
- Kell Brook targeting Eubank Jr vs. Smith winner for summer clash
- Kell Brook could come out of retirement, wants Eubank Jr vs. Benn winner
- LIVE: Canelo Alvarez – Jermell Charlo Press Conference Stream
- On ESPN: Shakur Stevenson vs. Edwin De Los Santos & Emanuel Navarrete vs. Robson Conceição on November 16
- Dmitry Bivol to fight in December, then could face Beterbiev vs. Smith winner
- Eddie Hearn explains why Haney vs. Prograis put on DAZN pay-per-view