Mayweather Sr. thinks Floyd Jr. can do well at 140
By Chris Williams: Floyd Mayweather Sr. sees his son Floyd Mayweather Jr. doing really well if he were to choose to move down to 140 lbs instead of choosing to fight at 147 and 154 like he’s doing now.
Floyd Sr. told Fighthype.com “You know Floyd can still fight at 140 if he wanted to. He would be untouchable there.”
Floyd Sr. has a good point because Mayweather Jr. would really clean up on the top light welterweights in the division and honestly there’s not much left for him to fight at 147 or 154. Those divisions have been emptied apart from Manny Pacquiao and Saul Alvarez. Boxing fans would like to see Mayweather fight Pacquiao, but that fight is likely never to happen for a variety of reasons that are now too played out to even discuss.
Here’s what Mayweather Jr. would have to contend with if he were to move back down to 140:
Juan Manuel Marquez
That’s a pretty weak bunch of fighters. Matthysse and Garcia are easily the best of the bunch, while guys like Alvarado and Rios are probably not going to interest Mayweather because they fight for Top Rank. That would probably be like Mayweather trying to fight Pacquiao. I can’t see it happening in this lifetime.
If Mayweather to move down to 140 I could see him extending his career into his 40s because there just isn’t that much for him to worry about at 140 other than Khan, Garcia and Matthysse. Those guys will likely move up in weight in the near future anyway so there’s not much of a threat for Mayweather at that weight.
Mayweather should really consider not fighting at 154 anymore because he’s not big enough to be fighting guys that balloon up to near 170 lbs after they weigh-in. Mayweather was basically fighting a super middleweight in his last fight against Miguel Cotto and that explains why he took so much punishment.
More Boxing News:
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Floyd Mayweather Jr offered “sick” money for exhibition fights
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Oscar Valdez BLAMES Mayweather for fighter ducking the best
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism