Cano can’t win title from Malignaggi after missing weight
(Photo credit: Tom Casino/Showtime) By Sean McDaniel: WBA World welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi (31-4, 7 KO’s) won’t have to worry about losing his title to 23-year-old Pablo Cesar Cano (25-1-1, 19 KO’s) on Saturday night at the Barclays Center, in Brooklyn, New York, USA. Cano failed to make weight during Friday’s weigh-in when he came in at 148.4 lbs, 1.4 lbs over the 147 pound limit for his first attempt at making weight.
Cano then came back two hours later and weighed in at 147.8. This was kind of surprising because Cano has been fighting at 140 until until this fight, and the last person you’d think would miss on the weight in this card was the 23-year-old Cano. That doesn’t mean that Malignaggi can’t lose his title if he loses the fight. If Cano beats him, Malignaggi’s World Boxing Association title will go vacant for some of the other welterweight contenders to fight over.
According to RingTV, the Malignaggi vs. Cano fight will still go ahead, provided that Cano doesn’t come in over 157 lbs in tomorrow mornings weigh-in. If Cano can’t even make this weight then he won’t get the fight and he will have wasted his time.
It’s pretty shocking how a fighter that has been consistently making 140 lbs for his fights at light welterweight to mess things up when he was getting a second shot at a title, as undeserved as it is. Cano fought for the vacant WBC light welterweight title last year in September against Erik Morales but was stopped on cuts in the 10th.
For Malignaggi, this may be the last victory he gets before he loses his title because he’s being mentioned in a fight against Ricky Hatton in 2013, and that’s a fight that Malignaggi will probably lose. He was already beaten by Hatton in 2008 and probably nothing has changed since then. If not Hatton, then definitely Thomas Dulorme, the #3 WBA contender or Marcos Maidana #2 WBA, are going to get Malignaggi and take him out as a champion.
More Boxing News:
- Oscar De La Hoya: Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell not done
- Malignaggi: ‘Wilder can become more DANGEROUS in third Fury fight’
- Malignaggi DOUBTS Mayweather has patience to be trainer
- Malignaggi: ‘Does Manny Pacquiao not age?’
- Andy Ruiz will regret loss to Anthony Joshua says Malignaggi
- Canelo Alvarez unlikely to fight on September 12
- Jorge Linares vs. Javier Fortuna off for Aug.28, Javier still wants to fight
- Teofimo Lopez vs. Vasiliy Lomachenko: Bob Arum hopes to finalize fight soon for Oct.3
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 being moved to February 2021
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta