Rafael: Golden Boy offered HBO Khan-Guzman and was turned down
By William Mackay: Golden Boy Promotions tried offering HBO a fight between Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KO’s) and 36-year-old former two division world champion Joan Guzman (33-0-1, 20 KO’s) but HBO wasn’t interested in televising that fight, according to Dan Rafael.
Rafael said on his twitter page “I was told Golden Boy boxing offered HBO a December fight between Amir Khan and Humberto Soto and was turned down.”
Ouch, that’s got to hurt, especially with Khan having already said that he wasn’t interested in fighting the unbeaten Guzman, saying to the Manchester Evening News Manchester Evening News “I want someone who is a bit more credible than him.”
So Khan is saying he isn’t interested in fighting Guzman, and yet we’re hearing that Golden Boy tried offering the fight to HBO but they weren’t interested. So what is it? Is Khan on the same page as his promoters at Golden Boy or was he simply being disingenuous when he said he wasn’t interested in the Guzman fight?
Whatever the case, Khan needs an opponent for his next scheduled fight date on December 15th, and he’s going to have to face someone fairly good for HBO to sign off on it. They’re not interested in televising mismatches when it involves a main event fight, and Khan’s promoter Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy, says he’s going to keep Khan as a main event fighter despite him losing his last two fights.
The problem Khan has is that with him being a main event fighter, he’s going to have to be matched against someone good if he wants his fight to be televised on HBO. They’re probably not going to be interested in seeing Khan fight someone like Paul McCloskey or some other European level fighter.
Khan is said to be switching trainers from Freddie Roach to Virgil Hunter, although he still hasn’t officially come out and said that he’s going with Hunter. Khan wants someone that can fix his defense and make him a more solid all around fighter.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Errol Spence Jr vs. Danny Garcia is 50-50 fight says Amir Khan
- Amir Khan calling out Oscar De La Hoya
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Glowacki- Okolie and Ryder-Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing
- Tyson Fury reaffirms he’s fighting on December 5th in London