Matthysse vs. Olusegun on Saturday for interim WBC 140 lb title
By Allan Fox: Argentinian Lucas Matthysse (31-2, 29 KO’s) and Ajose Olusegun (30-0, 14 KO’s) will be fighting on Saturday night for the interim WBC light welterweight title at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, The Joint, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Both Matthysse and Olusegun are trying to position themselves to where they can get the winner of the October 20th rematch between WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia and Erik Morales. Garcia likely will emerge as the winner of that fight and that should set up a nice fight between him and the Olusegun-Matthysse winner.
Olusegun, #1 WBC, has limited experience against quality opposition with his best fights coming against Colin Lynes and Ali Chebah. He looked good in beating the 26-year-old Chebah but that’s from what he’ll be facing on Saturday night when he has the hard hitting Matthysse throwing bombs at him all night long. Olusegun is going to have to be ready because he’s not had the experience necessary to get him prepared for what he’ll be facing agaisnt Matthysse.
The 29-year-old Matthysse has a three-fight win streak after having lost to Devon Alexander in June of last year. In his last fight, Matthysse stopped Humberto Soto in the 5th round last June in an impressive showing. Matthsse’s loss to Alexander was controversial with many boxing fans seeing Matthysse as the rightful winner of that fight. Matthysse also lost to Zab Judah in November of 2010. That fight also was controversial, as Matthysse dominated the last eight rounds of that fight after getting off to a slow start in the first four rounds.
Matthysse should beat Olusegun on Saturday. The only thing that Matthysse has to worry about is dealing with Olusegun’s high workrate somehow. That’s not going to be easy, because Olusegun throws nonstop punches. However, if Matthysse goes to the body he should get a stoppage win. Matthysse is an excellent body puncher and it’s doubtful that Olusegun has fought anyone like Matthysse before.
More Boxing News:
- Lucas Matthysse retires from boxing
- Pacquiao calls on Mayweather to come out of retirement
- Matthysse talks about loss to Pacquiao
- Teddy Atlas criticizes Pacquiao’s win over Matthysse
- Jeff Horn reacts to Manny Pacquiao’s win over Matthysse
- Mikey Garcia: Lomachenko beat weaker & smaller fighters
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Glowacki- Okolie and Ryder-Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing