Chavez Jr. to get $3 million, Sergio Martinez $1.4 million for Saturday’s showdown in Vegas
By Dan Ambrose: WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. will be getting a minimum of $3 million for his title defense against 37-year-old Sergio Martinez on Saturday night in their pay per view bout on HBO at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, according to RingTV. Martinez will be getting $1.4 million.
It’s unclear how much more Chavez Jr. and Martinez will make when the PPV totals are tallied, but you to imagine it could be quite a bit more if the fight draws big numbers of 1 million PPV buys or more. I’d be surprised if the fight does more than 600,000 buys. Martinez doesn’t have a huge fan base, and Chavez Jr. is still pretty new to the big fight game and hasn’t had a career defining fight needed against a big name in order to make him a crossover star.
Chavez Jr. will be the main guy pulling the PPV numbers on Saturday, but I don’t think he’s got enough fans outside of his Hispanic base in order to pull in the Oscar De La Hoya type PPV numbers of the past. De La Hoya had help because he has excellent opponents along the way, as well his Olympic credentials. Chavez Jr. has none of that. No real amateur experience and almost all of his fights have come against obscure opposition that casual boxing fans have never even heard of.
Martinez has got to be happy right about now, because he’s going to be getting the biggest payday of his career by far this Saturday. I wouldn’t be surprised if his final numbers are in the $3 million range. That’s good money even after the taxes are taken out and money paid to his promoter and training team.
The fight is selling for $49.99 on PPV, and there honestly isn’t a whole of interesting fights on the card aside from the main event. The hardcore boxing fans know the undercard fighters, but there’s not a whole lot to get excited about on the undercard.
More Boxing News:
- Eddie Hearn willing to let Julio Chavez Jr. rebuild career on Matchroom undercards
- Daniel Jacobs wants GGG rematch, Jermall Charlo, Saunders or Callum in 2020
- Chavez Jr. hospitalized, having NOSE surgery after loss to Jacobs
- Photos / Results: Danny Jacobs Retires Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.
- Hearn on Chavez Jr. quitting: “You CAN’T do that”
- Mike Tyson: ‘Deontay Wilder wasn’t the same fighter in rematch”
- Tonight, WATCH Deontay Wilder battle Tyson Fury 2 on FS1
- Terence Crawford could face Kell Brook next
- Badou Jack now being trained by Johnathon Banks
- Demetrius Andrade to defend against Liam Williams next