Chavez Jr. seems to be lacking mental focus for Martinez fight
By Dan Ambrose: If you’ve seen how WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has looked during his recent Chavez Jr-Martinez 24/7 episodes on HBO you’d have to conclude that Chavez Jr. appears to be mentally disengaged for his training sessions as he approaches his fight this Saturday night against Sergio Martinez in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Chavez Jr. often seems to be in his own world, staring with blank eyes while his team around him are trying to talk to him. He’s blowing off training sessions and trying to make up for it by working out at home. It just seems like a totally backwards way of getting ready for what is easily his toughest fight of his career against Martinez. Chavez Jr’s trainer Freddie Roach looked pretty exasperated with Chavez Jr. after he blew off a training session and left Roach having wasted his time waiting for him to show up.
Roach said “He hasn’t said no to me during his training. He’s just not showing up everyday.”
Chavez Jr. tried to defend his not showing up for one of Roach’s sessions by saying “I trained for 12 days straight. I didn’t get to have days off. So I felt like taking a day off. I listened to my body. I felt tired and didn’t think it was best for me.”
Being tired is the whole point of training camp. You’re supposed to be tired, because that’s what it takes to get in tip top shape. For Chavez Jr. to be skipping training sessions just because he’s feeling a little tired makes him look like someone that’s not really serious about his job.
But importantly is who Chavez Jr. looks when hes actually training. He doesn’t look like he’s putting in the same kind of effort that Martinez is in his training camp. Martinez looks like he’s working his backside off, whereas Chavez Jr. seems to be a lot more casual about it.
More Boxing News:
- Eddie Hearn willing to let Julio Chavez Jr. rebuild career on Matchroom undercards
- Daniel Jacobs wants GGG rematch, Jermall Charlo, Saunders or Callum in 2020
- Chavez Jr. hospitalized, having NOSE surgery after loss to Jacobs
- Photos / Results: Danny Jacobs Retires Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.
- Hearn on Chavez Jr. quitting: “You CAN’T do that”
- Teofimo Lopez just wants to BEAT up Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Jaime Munguia in no rush to fight Canelo and GGG
- Daniel Dubois vs. Joe Joyce – NOT behind closed doors: Warren gives update
- Whyte says Andy Ruiz Jr. is a FAT coward for not accepting offer
- Danny Garcia the WBC mandatory to Errol Spence