Sergio Martinez: Chavez Jr. was given the WBC 160 lb title when he didn’t deserve it
By Dan Ambrose: Sergio Martinez (49-2-2, 28 KO’s) doesn’t think that WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (46-0-1, 32 KO’s) deserved to get the World Boxing Council 160 pound title last year after beating what many boxing fans felt was the WBC middleweight paper champion Sebastian Zbik by a 12 round majority decision in June of 2011.
Zbik, not a big puncher, was given the WBC 160 lb belt by the World Boxing Council after Sergio Martinez was suddenly stripped by the WBC after having faced Sergiy Dzinziruk in March of last year instead of defending the title against Zbik, the #1 challenger.
HBO preferred that Martinez fight the unbeaten Dzinziruk rather than Zbik. By the WBC taking the WBC title from Martinez, it opened up an avenue Chavez Jr. to move in and face the new WBC champion Zbik for the title rather than Martinez. Had Chavez Jr. had to fight Martinez instead of Zbik, Chavez Jr. likely would have taken a beating and been knocked out. For this reason, Martinez doesn’t see Chavez Jr. as having deserved the WBC strap.
Here’s an exchange between Martinez and Chavez Jr. during the Max Kellerman face off on HBO:
Kellerman to Martinez: “Do you think he earned the fight or do you think it was given to him based on who his father was?”
Martinez: “I think he did deserve the fight because he has shown progress in his last four fights, since he won his belt. But I’m still convinced that he [Chavez Jr] was given the belt and the title when he didn’t deserve it. With time, he will be one of the best, but right now he isn’t, and it’s unfair that there’s a fighter not defending the world championship.”
Chavez Jr: “It’s always the same story. They all believe the same. They don’t give me credit, but I’ve been shutting them up with facts, one by one, and this is only another step in my career. I do respect him, but he’s just the next one. I will be the best fighter in the world.”
More Boxing News:
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. suspended by NSAC for refusing to take drug test
- Kermit Cintron wants Sergio Martinez rematch: Will anyone watch?
- Sergio Martinez making comeback, fighting Kerman Lejarraga in Dec. or Jan.
- Eddie Hearn willing to let Julio Chavez Jr. rebuild career on Matchroom undercards
- Daniel Jacobs wants GGG rematch, Jermall Charlo, Saunders or Callum in 2020
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey