Wilder v McCreary on September 8th in big mismatch
When you look at it it seems two unbeaten heavyweights fighting against each other is a good match up but that’s where the interest in the fight ends. McCreary is 39-years old and has had only 3 fights in the last 5 years. His last fight was against the pretty much unheard of Raymundo Lopez in a 4 rounder, which McCreary took on points.
Wilder at 26 really needs to be stepping up the quality of opposition. Even if it is less than 2 weeks notice. Is a fight against a bloated 5’11 super middleweight the right choice of opponent for a guy who thinks he is the best in the business.
A fight against McCreary is no better than a sparring session, even less useful than a sparring session because he won’t learn anything by taking this fight.
GBP really need to put the work in now because Wilder does have talent but in a fight like this GBP are really cheating the fighter and cheating the public.
Even after 24 wins, all by stoppage, Wilder can barely make the top 20 rankings in the US alone. A better fight for Wilder would have been against a guy like the Prizefighter winner Tor Hamer or Kevin Johnson, even a guy like Malik Scott, unbeaten in 34 would be a better and more useful test.
Golden Boy Promotions are actually damaging Wilder’s reputation in my view by putting him in setting these fights up. Continually fighting these guys, and I couldn’t even get a ranking for McCreary just hinders his quest for a title, and there are plenty of titles out there.
Seth Mitchell is taking on Jonathon Banks, 2 top 10 rated guys to put them in line for a title shot, a good fight, a fight that an unbeaten guy with 24 stoppages should be having.
Let’s hope GBP start doing their job and getting the fights that will test him. A test that Damon McCreary won’t provide.
More Boxing News:
- BT Sports Crushes Tyson Fury Glove-gate
- Bob Arum has reserved Allegiant Stadium in Vegas for Fury vs. Wilder 3
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 on December 19
- Hearn wants Deontay to step aside to let Whyte face Fury
- ANGRY Tyson Fury vows to end Deontay Wilder’s career over foul play rumors
- Michael Hunter: I’d STOP Dillian Whyte; I beat Tyson Fury bad
- Gennadiy Golovkin training for Kamil Szeremeta fight
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback