Mike Lee vs. Paul Harness added to Chavez Jr-Martinez undercard
By Chris Williams: Unbeaten light heavyweight prospect Mike Lee (10-0, 6 KO’s) will be fighting Paul Harness (4-3-1, 3 KO’s) in a six round bout on the undercard of the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez HBO pay per view card on September 15th at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Lee, who previously went to Notre Dame, isn’t someone that I’m dying to pay to see in this expensive $49.99 PPV card.
I actually could do without this fight, as well some of the other less than thrilling fights on the undercard. Instead of having four dull fights on the undercard that likely won’t attract or thrill many fans, Top Rank should take all the money they were going to pay these guys and put it into having at least one good undercard fight involving a future star or someone that boxing fans actually want to see. I don’t see any of that on this $49.99 card.
This is all you get for the undercard:
John Jackson vs. Willie Nelson
Roman Martinez vs. Miguel Beltran Jr
Matthew Macklin vs. Joachim Alcine
Oscar Gonzalez vs. TBA
If I were to buy this card, and I’m not planning on doing it due to the lack of interesting fights on the undercard, I’d be tempted to watch another channel like Showtime to see the Josesito Lopez vs. Saul Alvarez fight card while the dull Top Rank undercard is being shown on HBO for the Martinez-Chavez Jr. card.
As for Lee, I’ve seen him fight a few times and wasn’t impressed at all. I like the story and all about a former Notre Dame student but there’s got to be more than that behind the fighter. They can bring up whatever they want about a fighter’s background, but if he’s really not all that talented than why should I care. Couldn’t they have found a former Harvard or Yale student and put him in the undercard so we can make a big deal out of the fact that the fighter went to an Ivy league school and is now fighting for a living. Notre Dame doesn’t quite get it for me to be impressed.
More Boxing News:
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs. Mario Abel Cazares on Sept.25 in Tijuana, Mexico
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. suspended by NSAC for refusing to take drug test
- Kermit Cintron wants Sergio Martinez rematch: Will anyone watch?
- Sergio Martinez making comeback, fighting Kerman Lejarraga in Dec. or Jan.
- Eddie Hearn willing to let Julio Chavez Jr. rebuild career on Matchroom undercards
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall