Donaire may never have to fight Rigondeaux if he signs with Golden Boy Promotions
By Chris Williams: Right now it’s unclear whether WBA World super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux will be staying with Top Rank or signing with Golden Boy. Rigondeaux’s manager Gary Hyde wants him to sign with Golden Boy Promotions and supposedly they made a bigger offer than Top Rank’s in trying to sign him up with them.
Rigondeaux’s promotional contract with Top Rank has already expired and they’re reportedly have a short term deal going that will allow Rigondeaux to get a fight in before they work out a longer contract deal, according to Dan Rafael. However, if Rigondeaux goes along with his manager Hyde’s wishes, who he’s not speaking with, and sign with Golden Boy Promotions then Rigondeaux likely will never get a shot against IBF/WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire because the two promotional companies rarely have their fighters compete against one another, at least rarely when it involves big stars.
If Rigondeaux does take the reported bigger offer by Golden Boy then he could very well be stuck fighting mostly Golden Boy fighters. Rigondeaux could fight WBC super bantamweight champion Abner Mares because he’s a Golden Boy fighter, but not Donaire.
However, Rigondeaux might not be that much better off even if he stays with Top Rank, because he’s been with them for a while he’s still not able to get Donaire in the ring for some reason. This could be Donaire blocking it or maybe Bob Arum. Both Donaire and Arum have a lot to lose if Rigondeaux fights Donaire because he’s more popular than Rigondeaux right now and a loss to him might hurt the Donaire money train before it’s left the station.
More Boxing News:
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire on May 16 on Showtime
- 2020 – The end of legends?
- Rigondeaux: ‘I’m going MONSTER hunting’ for Naoya Inoue
- Post-Mexican Style, or An Era of Truly Global Boxing
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall
- Hearn wants Wilder to speak up about Fury fight