Juan Manuel Marquez to fight Serhiy Fedchenko on April 14th
By Chris Williams: According to the Record.com.mx, former three division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez (53-6-1, 39 KO’s) will be fighting #5 WBO contender Serhiy Fedchenko (30-1, 13 KO’s) on April 14th for the interim WBO light welterweight title at the New Mexico City Arena, Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico. The 30-year-old Fedchenko from Ukraine will be replacing No.1 WBO contender Cesar Rene Cuenca as Marquez’s next opponent.
It’s unclear why Cuenca is being replaced, because he’s about as good as Fedchenko. Both are flawed fighters with little power. Fedchenko was beaten by Kaizer Mabuza in September 2010 in a fight that took place in Fedchenko’s home country of Ukraine. That same year, Fedchenko struggled badly to beat journeyman DeMarcus Corley by a 12 round decision. I think you get the gist.
Fedchenko is a very beatable fighter and Marquez should have zero problems dominating Fedchenko to pick up the interim title. It’s doubtful that Marquez will stop Fedchenko, because Fedchenko mostly just jabs and immediately retreats to the outside. He does all the time like clockwork. He’s not there to be hit because he’s mostly just looking to jab and quickly back away. It’s predictable but hard to fight him because he’ll literally retreat all around the ring to avoid getting hit by an opponent. Fedchenko struggles against guys that take the fight to him and pursue him around the ring like Mabusa and Corley did.
Marquez’s trainer Nacho Beristain likes what he sees of Fedchenko and thinks he’ll be perfect for Marquez to fight. I agree. Fedchenko is an easy mark and won’t be able to do much with Marquez. In Fedchenko’s last three fights, he’s beaten Laszlo Fazekas, Willy Blain and Artem Ayvazidi. Fedchenko barely beat the little known Ayvazidi. Fedchenko isn’t taking on dangerous opponent, yet he’s struggling badly and not looking good against guys that can kind of fight like Mabuza and Corley.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Marquez: Canelo should fight Beterbiev or Bivol
- Bernard Hopkins, Juan M Marquez, Shane Mosley Elected To Boxing Hall Of Fame!
- Derevyanchenko approved by DAZN to fight Canelo Alvarez
- Canelo has the style to defeat Golovkin says Marquez
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez looking shaky for October 3
- Hearn offered 4 options to Canelo Alvarez, still NO reply
- Marriaga vs. Yap CANCELLED; Felix Verdejo and Will Madera make weight
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Fanlong Meng on September 25 in Ekaterinburg in Russia
- Chris Arreola has NO sympathy for Andy Ruiz Jr