Rubio: It’s obvious Chavez Jr. is afraid of Sergio Martinez; he’ll fight Margarito next
By Jason Kim: In an interview with Boxing Channel after Saturday’s night loss to WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (45-0-1, 31 KO’s), the beaten Marco Antonio Rubio was asked if Chavez Jr. is afraid to fight his WBC ordered challenger former WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and Rubio answered “It’s obvious. Chavez Jr. will fight Antonio Margarito instead.”
I wish I could say that I thought Rubio was wrong, because I’d to see Chavez Jr. and Martinez fight to prove who the best fighter is in the middleweight division, not that I see Chavez Jr. as being in the top 5 in middleweight division. I see him as a paper champion who beat another paper champion Sebastian Zbik.
It seems almost academic at this point that Chavez Jr. is ducking Martinez and there’s really no telling when Chavez Jr. will eventually be forced to fight Martinez by the WBC. I personally don’t see the WBC ever doing that and I don’t know if Chavez Jr. would fight Martinez even if he was forced to fight him. With all the titles floating around the division and with his popularity, Chavez Jr. will easily get a fight against the very beatable IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale, who Chavez Jr. would likely squash by coming into the fight weighing over 180. So you can see it doesn’t matter if the World Boxing Council eventually forces Chavez Jr. to fight Martinez, he still probably won’t do it.
In the same Boxing Channel interview, Rubio said “Chavez Jr. still needs to be tested.” Rubio is talking about here is that Chavez Jr. was allowed to leave the Alamodome arena last Saturday night without leaving a urine test for performance enhancing drugs. It’s unclear whether there was even plans to have the testing done, because as far as I can know, Rubio wasn’t tested either. Either the WBC or the Texas State Athletic Commission dropped the ball on this.
More Boxing News:
- Eddie Hearn willing to let Julio Chavez Jr. rebuild career on Matchroom undercards
- Daniel Jacobs wants GGG rematch, Jermall Charlo, Saunders or Callum in 2020
- Chavez Jr. hospitalized, having NOSE surgery after loss to Jacobs
- Photos / Results: Danny Jacobs Retires Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.
- Hearn on Chavez Jr. quitting: “You CAN’T do that”
- Teofimo Lopez weighing 160 pounds, will he make weight for Vasily Lomachenko match?
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. back in gym training again
- Artur Beterbiev willing to fight in UK says Top Rank promoter Todd Duboef
- Regis Prograis wants Eddie Hearn to find private Island for next fight
- Vergil Ortiz Jr. fires back at Errol Spence, calling him ‘The Lie’