Pascal to announce his next opponent on Monday or Tuesday
By Jason Kim: Former WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (26-2, 16 KO’s) and his promoter will be making an announcement on Monday or Tuesday of next week about who the 29-year-old Pascal will be fighting next, according to fightnews.com. announce
Pascal had been negotiating a fight against unbeaten light heavyweight contender Ismayl Sillakh, but it looks like Pascal and/or his promoter has changed their mind about the wisdome of taking that fight. Instead, Pascal will likely be facing a lesser threat to stay active and keep in the position to take on the winner of the April 28th fight between WBC light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson.
Pascal, #2 WBC, is in a prime position to fight the Hopkins-Dawson winner to try and recapture the World Boxing Council title that Pascal lost to Hopkins by a 12 round decision last May. Pascal has already fought Hopkins twice, fighting him to a 12 round draw in December 2010 and then losing to him in May 2011. Pascal has also previously fought Dawson in August 2010, beating him by an 11th round technical decision.
Dawson has wanted to avenge that loss ever since and if he can get past Hopkins on April 28th, then he’ll likely finally get the chance at accomplishing that. Pascal looked to be on the verge of being knocked out by Dawson in the 11th round of their fight but connected with an accidental head butt that probably saved him a loss when Dawson was badly cut up and the referee stopped the fight rather than letting Dawson attempt to finish off Pascal.
Pascal doesn’t match up well with Hopkins, so it might be a better thing if Dawson comes out on top than if Hopkins does for Pascal’s sake Dawson would still be a lot of problems for Pascal if he fights with the energy that he did in his recent fight against Hopkins.
More Boxing News:
- Marcus Browne exercised rematch clause for Jean Pascal rematch
- ‘Let’s do Dmitry Bivol vs. Badou Jack for WORLD title’ – Eddie Hearn
- Tank Davis FIRES back at Terence Crawford
- Gervonta Davis beats Yuriorkis Gamboa
- Boxing Results: Jean Pascal edges Badou Jack
- Dillian Whyte previews Alexander Povetkin clash
- Eddie Hearn hoping to reach deal on Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell this week
- Wladimir Klitschko coming back? promoter Tom Loeffler wants him to
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles