Berto vs. Ortiz II rescheduled for June 30th at Mandalay Bay
By Dan Ambrose: The Andre Berto (28-1, 22 KO’s) vs. Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KO’s), which was supposed to be taking place on February 11th, has been rescheduled for June 30th at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada according to Dan Rafael at ESPN.
Berto, 28, ruptured his left biceps during training for the Ortiz rematch and will need an extensive amount of time to recuperate from the injury. Ortiz, 25, is taking a huge risk by agreeing to take this fight because as it is he’s wasted four months of his career preparing for the fight in one way or another, and now he’s going to have to spend another four months waiting around.
With the injury that Berto suffered, he could very well suffer another setback which could further put the fight off. Berto has already tore up the same bicep in his fight with Carlos Quintana in 2010. Berto had surgery on the fix the problem that time, but not in this instance.
The first doctor that he saw for the problem recommended surgery but then Berto went doctor shopping and found one that felt that he doesn’t need surgery. If the doctor turns out to be wrong if the biceps fails anyway, Ortiz will have lost almost a considerable amount of time trying to make this fight.
Ortiz would be much better off fighting someone else and taking a wait and see approach to Berto’s left arm. At some point it should heal but it’s not a good sign when you have a serious injury like this in such a short time.
The chances are Berto will rupture the bicep again and Ortiz will be literally kicking himself for not moving on and looking at bigger fights. Ortiz should forget about the Berto fight until he proves that he can fight wihout ripping his bicep again.
More Boxing News:
- Victor Ortiz: ‘I’m here to reign once again’
- Andre Berto injured, withdraws from Adam Kownacki vs. Chris Arreola card
- Kownacki vs. Arreola undercard for Aug.3
- Adam Kownacki vs. Chris Arreola, Andre Berto vs. Miguel Cruz & Marcus Browne vs. Jean Pascal New York press conference quotes
- Adam Kownacki Battles Chris Arreola on August 3 in Brooklyn, NY
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- Andy Lee: Tyson Fury mentally BREAKS Anthony Joshua and stops him
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Luis Ortiz fighting in August or September, wants Mike Tyson
- Errol Spence GLOATING on taking Keith Thurman’s spot at the top of 147 lb division