Maidana-Alexander: Marcos needs to pressure Devon to make him quit
By Jason Kim: Marcos Maidana (31-2, 28 KO’s) is going to need to put a lot of pressure on Devon Alexander (22-1, 13 KO’s) next month in their important welterweight showdown at the Scottrade Center in Saint Louis, Missouri.
Alexander has already been shown to have problems in fight where he was pressured by Timothy Bradley, Lucas Matthysse and Andriy Kotelnik.
Applying a lot of pressure on Alexander is clearly the key for Maidana to use in order to pull off an important win. Luckily for Maidana, pressuring and fighting on the inside is something he does quite well so he’s not going to be out of his expertise area in trying to take the fight to the 24-year-old Alexander in this fight.
Maidana, 28, has been beaten twice against boxer/punchers Amir Khan and Kotelnik. Those fighters used a jab and a lot of movement to keep from getting hit a lot by the powerful Maidana. However, both of them still took an awful beating in winning. Khan looked really swollen up after the fight in his face and nose, while Kotelnik resembled someone that had walked into a wall. His face was swollen up badly and bloody.
It’s safe to say that Alexander is going to be looking similarly by the end of this fight. He might be able to win it if he can keep on the move, use his jab and resist the urge to try and fight Maidana on the inside. That might be hard for Alexander to do, as he enjoys fighting on the inside and with the exception of his fights against Matthysse and Bradley, Alexander has always been the better fighter in lose. He might be better than Maidana on the inside on February 25th, but he’ll take a ton of punishment in the process and could risk getting knocked out by the heavy-handed Argentinian.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Marcos Maidana showing off SIX-Pack abs
- Marcos Maidana looking solid in training for comeback
- Mayweather denies having a tooth knocked out by Maidana
- Marcos Maidana trimming down for exhibition match
- Patrick Teixeira calls out Jermell Charlo – “I’ll end his career”
- Andy Ruiz Jr to fight in early 2021, starts training with Reynoso & Canelo today
- Devin Haney: Gamboa fight is a done deal, I can hurt him
- Oscar de La Hoya looking fast and powerful in mitts workout
- Canelo Alvarez has refiled his lawsuit against Golden Boy and DAZN