Mariusz Wach vs. Tye Fields on March 30th on ESPN
By Dan Ambrose: Unbeaten heavyweight contender Mariusz Wach (26-0, 14 KO’s) will face 36-year-old Tye Fields (49-4, 44 KO’s) on ESPN on March 30th at the Foxwoods Casino in Mashantucket, Connecticut. This is a match-up between two big, terribly flawed heavyweights. Wach, 6’7 ½”, is ranked #9 by the World Boxing Council, but is painfully slow to the point where it’s often difficult for him to land his bread & butter punch his right.
Fields, 6’8”, is a sloppy southpaw with average power and a tendency to throw massive amounts of punches. Sometimes he can overwhelm his opponents on sheer volume punching, but when he’s been matched against decent opposition, Fields has often been stopped. Fields has knockout losses to Jeff Ford, Monte Barrett, Michael Grant and Mike Perez. He’ll likely be stopped by Wach as well, although I can also see Fields beating Wach because this guy is pretty mediocre.
Wach, 32, has made a small name for himself by knockout out 38-year-old Kevin McBride in the 4th round last July, and stopping journeyman Jason Gavern in the 6th round last month. There really isn’t any wins on Wach’s resume for you to get excited about him unless you’re excited about 2nd and 3rd tier victories.
If Wach can get beating 2nd tier opposition, he should get a title shot in the near future. I think he would last about one round against the Klitschkos and would also lose badly to WBA heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin. I just don’t see Wach as being worthy of a #9 ranking by the WBC, and they’re doing him no favors by ranking him so highly when he’s yet to fight anyone any good.
Fields stopped journeyman Rafael Butler in the 6th round last October. Fields also has big wins over Michael Sprott and Konstantin Airich in 2011. It goes without saying that Fields has fought and beaten much better opposition than Wach. This is why this bout is a real toss-up. Both guys slow, limited and sloppy.
More Boxing News:
- Wach KO’s Fields in battle of giants
- Wach smashes Fields in six!!
- Wach vs. Fields on Saturday night
- David Price to face Josue Blocus on Wach-Fields undercard on March 24th in U.S
- Mariusz Wach vs. Tye Fields on March 30th on ESPN
- Boxing History: Charley Burley
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight