Wach smashes Fields in six!!
By Jim Dower: Undefeated heavyweight contender Mariusz Wach (27-0, 15 KO’s) kept his forward progress going towards an eventual heavyweight title shot by stopping big 6’8″ 2nd tier heavyweight Tye Fields (49-5, 44 KO’s) in the 6th round on Saturday night at the Resorts Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Wach, 32, put heavy pressure on Fields from the 1st round and hammered him with powerful looping shots with both hands. In the 6th, Wach backed Fields up with heavy shots and wailed him on until dropping him with a clubbing right hand to the head. Fields had been trying to fight back couldn’t match the power from Wach. The fight was officially halted at 1:44 of the 6th.
All in all good win for Wach, but still not all that impressive win you consider that had already been stopped in the 1st round by Mike Perez last year in May and then in the 3rd round last March by journeyman Michael Grant. Compared to those fighters’ performances, Wach’s win over Fields wasn’t nearly as impressive. Even Monte Barrett knocked Fields out in one round in June 2008. Wach is making progress but he’s got a ways to go before he catches up with the better heavyweights in the division.
Undefeated heavyweight prospect Artur Szpilka (10-0, 8 KO’s) had his way with Terrance Marbra (6-2, 5 KO’s), stopping him in the 1st round. Mabra was knocked down once and then finished off when he got back to his feet.
Light heavyweight Jerson Ravelo (21-5, 15 KO’s) defeated Joey Spina (26-2-2, 18 KO’s) by an eight round split decision. The final judges’ scores were 79-73, 77-75 and 78-74.
Cruiserweight prospect Stivens Bujaj (7-0, 5 KO’s) blasted out Joshua Harris (8-6-2, 6 KO’s) by a 2nd round TKO.
Undefeated super featherweight prospect Kamil Laszczyk (8-0, 5 KO’s) defeated Tevin Farmer (4-3-1, 1 KO’s) by an eight round unanimous decision. The final judges’ scores were 79-73, 77-75 and 78-74.
More Boxing News:
- Wach KO’s Fields in battle of giants
- Wach smashes Fields in six!!
- Wach vs. Fields on Saturday night
- David Price to face Josue Blocus on Wach-Fields undercard on March 24th in U.S
- Mariusz Wach vs. Tye Fields on March 30th on ESPN
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet