Khan: Kell Brook doesn’t deserve a fight against me
By William Mackay: Unbeaten welterweight contender Kell Brook (25-0, 17 KO’s ) can forget about an early Christmas present this year, as IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (26-1, 18 KO’s) has come out publically and shot down any idea of a fight against Brook.
Khan, 24, doesn’t feel Brook deserves a fight because he’s still an unknown and has yet to cut his teeth on his first top tier opponent.
Khan told the dailystar.co.uk “He [Brook] doesn’t deserve a shot at the moments because he hasn’t fought anyone decent. There are also more challenges at 147 lbs that will motivate me to train even harder.”
Khan has a point about Brook not having faced anyone good, because he hasn’t. He’s been well protected his entire career.
But then again, Khan isn’t a big star either, and hasn’t really faced any huge stars either. It’s kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. There are better challenges out there for Khan at welterweight, but he’s probably not going to take those challenges.
I can’t see Khan facing Victor Ortiz, Andre Berto, Mike Jones or Floyd Mayweather Jr. any time soon. As far as the rest of the welterweights go, there’s no one else worth mentioning other than Manny Pacquiao, and Khan already said he won’t fight him because that’s his buddy. But if Khan needs great challenge in order for him just to train hard then he’s got some serious motivation issues. Maybe he doesn’t like boxing? If so, he needs to get out of the sport because training is a part of the game.
Khan defends his titles against Lamont Peterson on December 10th in Washington, Dc. Brook will be fighting another tune-up, this time against Luis Galarza on the undercard of the Carl Froch vs. Andre Ward bout on December 17th at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
More Boxing News:
- Crawford fight looking SLIM for Brook in 2020
- Kell Brook confident Terence Crawford clash happens
- Amir Khan with NO interest in fighting without fans present
- Khan wants Mayweather and Pacquiao before retiring
- John Fewkes opens up on Kell Brook split and issue with Dominic Ingle
- Tyson vs. Holyfield 3 Preview
- Ryan Garcia: Jorge Linares fight ISN’T happening
- Saunders: Canelo is in my WORLD inside an empty arena
- Terence Crawford: ‘I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me’
- Keith Thurman ready to fight behind-closed doors