Adrien Broner interested in fighting Brandon Rios
By Scott Gilfoid: Unbeaten newly crowned WBO super featherweight champion Adrien Broner (22-0, 18 KO’s) is reportedly interested in moving up in weight to face WBA World lightweight champion Brandon Rios (28-0-1, 21 KO’s) in the near future and feels he’s got what it takes to beat the 25-year-old Rios.
Although respectful of Rios’ talent level, Broner thinks he can put together the right game plane to get him past Rios to capture his WBA belt if given the chance.
Broner easily beat Vicente Martin Rodriguez by a 3rd round TKO last Saturday night in a one-sided fight. Broner is now looking for bigger challenges and there is talk of him looking to unify all of the super featherweight titles before moving up in weight. That will likely prove impossible, however, because the problem is Broner is an avoided fighter due to his incredible talent.
Yes, Broner can try to get fights with the other super featherweight champions, but getting them to take the fight with him will prove nearly impossible. No one wants to fight him and get beat. He was hoping to fight former WBO super featherweight champion Ricky Burns, but he moved up in weight just when he was about to fight Broner. Did Burns have cold feet? You be the judge.
With none of the super featherweight champions wanting to fight him, I see Broner moving up in weight in early 2012 to try and get a fight with Rios and/or the other champions Miguel Vazquez, Juan Manuel Marquez, Robert Guerrero and Antonio DeMarco. I’d love to see Broner vs. Marquez. That would be a great fight and it would be like a rematch between Mayweather and Marquez. I can see Broner winning that fight just as Mayweather did. Broner has too much speed, defensive ability and excellent counter punching ability for someone like Marquez.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Adrien Broner: If I return to 135, I’ll destroy the weight class
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk