Paul Smith: I know I can beat George Groves
By Scott Gilfoid: Former British super middleweight champion Paul Smith (31-2, 17 KO’s) wants to regain his title in November when he faces British and Commonwealth super middleweight champion George Groves (13-0, 10 KO’s) on November 5th in Wembley.
Smith, 28, knows he’s got the talent to beat Groves and all he wants now is to get the fight underway so that he can school the young 23-year-old Groves.
“It’s the fight I wanted,” Smith said on Sky Sports Ringside. “I want my old title back. I wasn’t at my best [against James DeGale], and I believe I know for a fact I can beat George Groves, and I want the opportunity to do it.”
Smith has got the opportunity now, because the fight is lined up and ready to go for November. I think it’s going to be bad for Groves, because he’s got a fragile chin and Smith has got the power to really hurt him once he starts putting hands on Groves. It may take some chasing to catch up to Groves, but once Smith gets close enough to land, I think we’ll see Groves hitting the deck.
Groves said “I’ve got to find a way to beat him. He got bashed up this time last year, so that’s going to be hard to do because he was atrocious. He’s going to be hungry, he says he wants to get his title back. I’m really looking forward to it.”
I bet Groves will be wishing he’d never fought Smith when things suddenly turn bad for Groves. After Smith hurts Groves, he’s going to be regretting ever having taken the fight in the first place.
More Boxing News:
- George Groves comments on Tyson Fury’s glove controversy
- Groves picks Wilder to beat Fury in rematch
- George Groves: ‘Joshua should take Ruiz Jr. rematch right away’
- Ricky Hatton, Tyson Fury and George Groves discuss Dubois vs Gorman fight
- George Groves says ‘DeGale needs to call it a day’
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year
- Whyte wants WBC to force Fury to fight him next in 2020
- Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo possible for June 9