Mosley wants Cotto-Margarito winner
By Dan Ambrose: Former three division world champion Shane Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KO’s) says he’s very interested in taking on the winner of the December 3rd match-up between WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto ((36-1, 29 KO’s) and Antonio Margarito (38-7, 27 KO’s).
Mosley, 40, fought both Cotto and Margarito in the past, beating Margarito by a 9th round TKO in January 2009, and losing a questionable 12 round unanimous decision to Cotto in November 2007.
“I would definitely like to fight the winner” [of Cotto vs. Margarito], Mosley said to esnewsreporting.com. “I beat Margarito, lost a close decision to Cotto. We can see what happens.”
The question is whether the Cotto vs. Margarito winner will want to fight Mosley. The problem with Mosley is that he hasn’t won a fight since beating Margarito in 2009, and has lost two out of his last three fights. You can make a good case that Mosley should have lost his last three fights because his 12 round draw against Sergio Mora in September 2010 looked more like a loss than a win in the minds of many boxing fans.
Cotto likely won’t want to take on a depleted Mosley because of the criticism he would face in the media. Additionally, his promoter Bob Arum might not be eager to put him in with Mosley because Arum has other plans for Cotto after the Margarito fight, such as pitting him against the WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. for an in house Top Rank fight.
There really isn’t a lot of options for Mosley at junior middleweight unfortunately. Saul Alvarez, the WBC junior middleweight champion, fights for Golden Boy Promotions. Arum would probably love to match the more experienced Cotto up with Alvarez right now before Alvarez gets any better and Cotto any older.
However, that’s probably not going to happen. As such, Mosley has to be considered a decent possibility for Cotto. As for Margarito, he’d probably jump at the chance to try and avenge his loss to Mosley from two years ago. It could turn out to be an easy win for Margarito if Mosley fights the same frozen way he did in his bouts with Floyd Mayweather Jr., Mora and Manny Pacquiao in the past year.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Bernard Hopkins, Juan M Marquez, Shane Mosley Elected To Boxing Hall Of Fame!
- Mosley analyzes Canelo vs. Jacobs
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- Andy Lee: Tyson Fury mentally BREAKS Anthony Joshua and stops him
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Luis Ortiz fighting in August or September, wants Mike Tyson
- Errol Spence GLOATING on taking Keith Thurman’s spot at the top of 147 lb division
- Gervonta Davis days with Mayweather Promotions could be numbered