Brook-Jackiewicz: Kell in a slight step up fight
By Scott Gilfoid: Waiting for welterweight contender to finally step it up against the creme of the welterweight division has been a long process, as Brook has been on the slow path to the top his entire seven year pro career.
On October 8th, the 25-year-old Brook fights the 34-year-old #5 IBF, #14 WBO ranked contender Rafal Jackiewicz (38-9-1, 19 KO’s) in a scheduled 12 round bout at the Ponds Forge Arena in Sheffield, Yorkshire, UK.
For the #2 World Boxing Organization (WBO) ranked Brook, one would hope that that this fight will be the start of Brook finally starting to fight some halfway decent fighters instead of the local fodder that he’s been fighting for most of his career.
I’m not so sure. I can see Brook going backwards after this fight, especially if he struggles to beat Jackiewicz, which is why I think will happen. This won’t be an easy fight for Brook, and he’ll show the limits of his talent in taking a lot of punishment from the Polish fighter. We’ll get to see how Brook will do when he does face someone of quality and it won’t be pretty.
The problem I see here is that Brook isn’t particularly powerful or fast, and he’s easy to hit with shots. Yes, he might beat a guy like Jackiewicz, who I personally see as the number #15 fighter in the welterweight division and nowhere near the current number #5 spot which the International Boxing Federation has him ranked.
But when Brook gets past this fight he’ll run into huge problems and take beatings but like I said, I think Brook will go backwards after this fight instead of forwards. He’ll keep getting spoon-fed until he gets his title shot and then get blasted out by a much more talented fighter than him. then it’s back to the old drawing board where the spoon feeding begins again.
More Boxing News:
- Crawford fight looking SLIM for Brook in 2020
- Kell Brook confident Terence Crawford clash happens
- John Fewkes opens up on Kell Brook split and issue with Dominic Ingle
- Liam Smith wants Kell Brook
- Amir Khan: ‘Kell Brook needs me more than I need him’
- Mike Tyson looking chiseled training for exhibition
- Manny Pacquiao reacts to Floyd Mayweather calling him an “OLD man”
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year